Feedback needed on Opensky after Audi's diagnostic

Satyr

Hi all,

My Audi's 1.4 TDI 2001 opensky doesn't work anymore (you just hear the motor but the panels won't move at all). After taking it to Audi's, here is what they've told me:

- The opensky needs to be changed. Motor gear is metal and roof gears are plastic, and the plastic ones are completely toothless...

- I found in some old thread the part number of a service kit in order to exchange the plastic gears for new metal ones

- Problem, according to Audi : my opensky is too old (car is from May 2001) and access cannot be made to the gears as, as they say, in the "latest" version of the opensky. Thus, no repairing possible, must get a new opensky.

Quote : 2500 Euros :D

Some questions though:

- is their diagnostic correct (repair kit not available for "old" opensky) ?
- Can someone provide the part number of the complete opensky ? I was only able to find p/n of some parts.

Any other help would be great,

Thanks for reading

Cheers

Hi,
I don't think the repair kit has something to do with "gearing". It has to do with the first glass panel "catching and lifting" the second one and both saying in their rails, if you know what I mean....
BTW, I have a similar problem with my OpenSky. I would say that "the first glass panel misses some teeth", since it still opens, but there's a 1~2 second delay before it starts to move when I push the open button (and hear the motor turning). So the roof doesn't open fully (+-15cm are missing).

Please keep me informed about your OpenSky fix...
If you have some picture of the motor/mechanism, I'm VERY interrested !!
Thanks in advance :)
Salut

Don't know if it will help but all I got on this is : :)

Cheers

SARGE

877000.png

dual glass panel sunroof
glass sliding roof panel
18Z0877056glass sliding roof panel
2 / 28Z0877055

glass sliding roof panel
3 / 38Z0877721

torx socket cheese head bolt (combi) 'order unit 4'
/ 48Z0877439

gasket (self-adhesive) / glass sliding roof panel
2 / 58Z0877297A

gasket / glass sliding roof panel
3 / 68Z0877159

holding-down clamp / wind deflector
left/right / 78Z0877133

lock bolt / glass sliding roof panel
left/right 2 / (7)8Z0877133

lock bolt / glass sliding roof panel / F >> 8Z-1-055 000*
left/right 3 / 98Z0877615

frame for sliding roof opening with cover
/ 8Z0877615 QTW

silver
-YA,YB,YC,YG, YH,YJ,YK,YL, NE,NH,NN,NP, NT,NU,NV / 8Z0877615 QTX

soul (black)
-QE / 128Z0877165

glide piece / frame for sliding roof opening
/ 13javascript:;

cover for channel / no replacement part / glass sliding roof parts / centre inner left a. right
20javascript:;glass sliding roof panel / no replacement part / supplied:
1 8Z0 877 049 A / 21javascript:;

glass sliding roof panel / no replacement part / supplied:
4 8Z0 877 049 A / 228Z0877297

1 / 238Z0877297A

4 / 248Z0877049A

frame with operating mechanism / may also be used for models with telephone / adapt with workshop equipment
/ 258Z0877265

adjustment element
/ 26N 90652201

hexagon head bolt (combi)
M6X25 / 27N 90286702

hex. nut, self-locking with washer
M6 / 28N 90807402

torx socket fill.head bolt
M5X18-H-V / 29N 90927601

washer
5X15X0,18 / 308Z0877213

sealing tape
lower / 30A8Z0877213A

plastic sealing strip in coils of 5 m
METAFOL / 318Z0877223

gasket / channel
inner / 328Z0877253

gasket / channel
left/right outer / 338Z0877651

wind deflector
/ 348Z0898658

mounting clip / wind deflector / pressure spring
left/right / 368Z0877969

locking hook / glass sliding roof panel
left/right 2 / 378Z0877969

locking hook / glass sliding roof panel / F >> 8Z-1-055 000*
left/right 3 / 408Z0959591

sliding roof motor
/ 41javascript:;

flat connector housing / no replacement part
6 pin / 428D9877721

torx socket fillister hd. bolt
M5X33 / 438Z0877621

covering / frame with operating mechanism
/ 8Z0877621 QTW

silver
-YA,YB,YC,YG, YH,YJ,YK,YL / 8Z0877621 QTX

soul (black)
-QE / 448Z0877443

protective cover
centre/rear / 478Z0959561

switch / for electric sliding roof
/ PR-9W0,9ZF 8Z0959561 EC3

platinum
-YA,YB,YG,YH, YJ,YK,YL / 8Z0959561 4QC

twist (beige)
-YC / 8Z0959561 6PS

soul (black)
-QE / (47)8Z0959561A

switch / for electric sliding roof / for models with telematics
/ PR-9ZH 8Z0959561A EC3

platinum
-YA,YB,YG,YH, YJ,YK,YL / 8Z0959561A 4QC

twist (beige)
-YC / 8Z0959561A 6PS

soul (black)
-QE / 48javascript:;

flat connector housing / no replacement part
/ 49javascript:;

interior and reading light / see illustration:
947-00 / 504B0875699

Thanks Sarge, will check carefully that schematic. Altough I would have thought some kind of "Full Opensky set" would be available with a single part number.

For FBI, here is the repair kit part number : 8Z0 898 738 B

Audi said me this kit was intended to exchange plastic "faulty" gearing parts by some metal ones.
I said "faulty" because they recognize the enginneering is poor but will not go for a "free" exchange :D

Btw, I called Audi France, but no way, the will not do any discount or good gesture regarding this. Car is too old, buy a Q7 or A5, then we can't talk.:eek:

Having trouble with my PC, Try the attachment and let me know if it's better. It's a zipped Word document. :D

Cheers

SARGE

Based on Sarge's reply, can anyone tell the faulty part ? As far as I can see (and understand) changing part 24 (frame with operating mechanism) could be the solution. Are the plastic gears within this one ? Can the opensky be dismounted as in the picture or is it too tricky ?

Cheers

Hi fbi
Item 24 is the complete frame assy which includes just about everything apart from the motor, glass roof panels and the screen. Cost of the assy is almost £1000.
May be worth looking for a scrap car and checking the roof works ok using the hand cranking tool.

Cheers Spike

Spike,

could one be able to disassemble the glass planels and re-assemble on a new frame, or would it need to be a Audi service ?

Any thoughts about the plastic gears/repair kit/"my opensky is too old" thing ? :D

Tx

Hi JB
It should be possible to re-use your original panels with a new frame assy. Only problem is that Audi use a special jig to fit the frame into the roof of the car and other club members have been quoted approx £2000 for parts and labour.
I'm not sure about the plastic gears / repair kit. Ref post 3 of this thread - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4179&highlight=plastic+gears the motor appears to have a steel gear which engages directly with the cable assy (like a rack and pinion I assume) and this post suggests the only plastic gears are inside the motor casing.

Back to the installation of a new frame, one of our Danish members actually cut the alloy roof of his car and fitted an Open Sky (the pics are somewhere on our site) and probably managed to fit the frame without the jig.

Sorry that none of this is very helpful.

Cheers Spike

Just found the pics (scarey stuff) - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5791&highlight=open+sky+fitting

Last edited:
Thanks to all !

Then, if I'm correct, Audi tech guys told me some crap.... No plastic gears to change, because if I'm correct, dead plastic gears would only mean motor exchange, right ? So it's not a problem of the open sky being to old or whatever...

I'm going to open the motor and check it by myself. Is this straight forward, or should I take care about something prior to any action ?

Thanks

JB

i have the same problem and have searched high and low for any info other than on A2OC.
Attached may be of some use to folks

Attachments

• audi open sky manual.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 490
Hi JB
Have you tried using the manual cranking handle to operate the roof. If it opens normally then the drive motor assy is likely to be faulty. If it still does not open properly then it must be the roof mechanism.

Cheers Spike

Hi all,

My Audi's 1.4 TDI 2001 opensky doesn't work anymore (you just hear the motor but the panels won't move at all). After taking it to Audi's, here is what they've told me:

- The opensky needs to be changed. Motor gear is metal and roof gears are plastic, and the plastic ones are completely toothless...

- I found in some old thread the part number of a service kit in order to exchange the plastic gears for new metal ones

- Problem, according to Audi : my opensky is too old (car is from May 2001) and access cannot be made to the gears as, as they say, in the "latest" version of the opensky. Thus, no repairing possible, must get a new opensky.

Quote : 2500 Euros :D

Some questions though:

- is their diagnostic correct (repair kit not available for "old" opensky) ?
- Can someone provide the part number of the complete opensky ? I was only able to find p/n of some parts.

Any other help would be great,

Thanks for reading

Cheers

Hi Satyr

Quick question.. Has this just started? The reason I ask is my open sky sticks when it gets hot. The heat seems to weld the thing shut and it just whirrs but a quick thump and everything works again. The cure I have found for this is oil...any kind will do just smeared along the rubber edges and bobs yer uncle... no sticking...
Like i said...just a thought...

Si:)

i have the same problem and have searched high and low for any info other than on A2OC.
Attached may be of some use to folks
Martin,
this is really a TOP info that you have found. This document is extremely valuable !! Hats off to you :)
By the way, have you undergone some investigation ? Have you dismantled something ?

hi fbi, yes I was suprised when i found this
in terms of investigating the problem, I took into audi, they provided 'a service' to the open sky (£60 for labour) and it seemed to work for a while, but now it crabs badly, with the drivers side front corner of the first panel not moving unless i pull it backwards whilst operating the button.
other than that I have not investigated further
not sure the 'fix' that is suggested offered by audi will fix my prob
Glen

Glen,
What you describe sounds like a problem of "guides" and "rails", whilst Satyr's roof and mine have a problem of "play" in the cables or motor gearing.
Fabrice

Back