Malodour in cabin

joejd

A2 1.4 tdi 2005 Akoya Silver recently purchased but have noticed unpleasant odour in cabin. Might it be AC unit or simply, shampood upholstery. Air fresheners only disguise smell briefly.. any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance Joejd

I did my pollen filter today in fact - replaced it with the activated carbon filter. Was quite alarming how much gunk came out of the filter tray when I pulled the filter out, and the filter itself was just minging.

Of course it could be something else - a friend of mine discovered he had a dead rat in his car!

Climate systems are also notorious for allowing bacteria to grow in them - perhaps this is the cause of the malodour (good word by the way!).

You can get purgers and fresheners that will clean things out and freshen your interior up.

Cheers,

Mike

perhaps this is the cause of the malodour (good word by the way!).

Its a great word isnt it! First saw it used in the novel 'Captain Correlli's Mandolin' Some of the early narrative had me reaching for the dictionary a few times! Doctor Iannis describes a pea stuck in a patients ear as an ' auditory impedement that was rank, malodourous and very papilionaceous' Great words for a smelly pea!! :D

Well used for smelly A2 cabin that man!! :)

I bought a can of those Comma Aircon treatment from halfords. Mine had a kind of mouldy, wet kind of smell with a strong accidic overtone to it.

FYI if others are looking for the same treatment. Initially, the can leaves a horrible lemony smell in your car. I could smell that also coming from the vents, along with the old smell. But the lemony smell was so strong it kind of covered it. Eventually after 1 week, the lemony smell went and I could smell the mould again. But now 4 weeks past, after much more frequent use of the A/C due to the weather, the smell is gone. Not sure if it was the treatment that killed the bacteria and it took time for it completely die off or just simply more use of A/C...

Hi humps
just purchased same in Halfords and will give it a try. Can cope with citrus for a while. Thanks to all who contributed. Joejd

Smell while A/C eco mode's on

Hi

I just had my car service and was told that theh pollen filter was replaced. Still I there's bad smell in the cabin when I press the ECO button, this smell disapears when I deselect the button. I this right or somethign else need cleaning

Thanks

Chris

Just had my aircon serviced (regassed and de-odourised) at Teesside Audi for £45 incl vat and free vallet. May be worth checking if other Audi dealers have a similar offer on.

Cheers Spike

Econ mode smell - solution?

Hi

Further to Chris/abin's query I had this problem and was in a quandry about what to as the air-con worked quickly and strongly without smell but the 'Econ' mode was distinctly malodorous. Tried a Comma Air Con Cleaner but had little effect.

Pretty much by accident - after a valet the heating was left on full to dry the seats. After a few miles of stuffy driving it appears to have also cured the malodorous results of selecting 'Econ'. Fingers crossed and I hope to update if anything changes.

Cheers,

Mark

Check you dont have any water in ur boot under the false floor as this can travel up to the interior and make it damp and smelly just fixed my leak this weekend its a common problem on the a2

Cheers. Sam

I had a bad smell when i put my aircon on, so i Went to halfords today and bought an aircon refresh anti bacteria spray, cost around £11.99, put the aircon on recirculate and full blower, set the can off and shut the doors, left it running for around 5 mins after spray stopped then Opened all windows/doors etc, then replaced the pollen filter (took me a while to find it) and hey presto, smell has gone and aircon is freezing and blows a gale into the car!!

This is quite common in vag cars my old a6 had the same issue. . . Water gets into the air simulation plenum and fungus starts to grow. . . Smells like old gym socks for a few minutes

Solutions
1 - run the aircon at full temp for a long drive or a few days to burn this out (not nice in summer)
2 - get some air con sanitiser as details above and set it off in the car to.kill the bacteria
3 - extreme measure is to get into.the chamber and clean with bleach but this.is a last resort

For my a6 #1 worked but it did take a few.days.and i did #2 to make sure it wouldn't come.back in a hurry

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

it is a common problem with all cars with air con I've experienced. My local garage which does air con service performs this bacterial cleaning process as well as recharge the refrigerant. I do this every 2 years with my full service as recommended and it isn't a problem. I've used a halfords canister before, it worked ok for a few months then the smell came back, besides the lemon smell was very unpleasant.

Back