Knocking Sound! Help.

mgag.1

Hi
My wife came home today after a 100 mile round trip and said there was a loud knocking sound coming from the front left footwell?
I took her car for a little drive and I'm guessing it's something to do with the anti roll bar bushes but I'm no mechanic.
I'm wondering is it safe to drive still as I was going to use it on Sunday to go to the Audi in the park meet?
I'm also wondering if it is a job I could tackle myself as I have some mechanical knowledge and all the tools etc?
Here are a couple of photos to help with my queries.

Thanks in advance Mark & Sam.

Hi Mark & Sam

Nothing to worry about really. As you suspected the plastic sleeves have moved along the ARB and out of the bushes. It is fairly easy to replace the bushes with the Polo ones (search previous threads under 'ARB') which do not need the sleeve but I found that this was only good for a short period of time (others might disagree) and replaced the ARB for the newer one and have had no problems since. Only need some ramps/axle stands and a 10mm(?) spanner and you are away (2 bolts on each collar).

Regards

Neil

Hi mark
As a cheep and quick fix you could remove the plastic sleeves and fit Polo roll bar bushes. As Niel and Phil indicate, the 'official' fix is to fit the new design roll bar and corresponding bushes. This requires the subframe to be lowered slightly for access and this can affect the wheel camber if you don't carefully mark and realign the subframe when refitting. There is more info here - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6341&highlight=roll+bar+bushes
If you like the idea of the Polo bushes, do a search for (you guessed) polo bushes for dtails of bush part nos etc

Cheers Spike

Thanks everyone.
I think I'm going to try the Polo fix but can't seem to find the necessary part no's!
Can anyone help me I've been looking for them for some time now?

Thanks.

PS hopefully bump(excuse the pun) some of you at Audi in the park.

i think you will find the part number you need is ----V6Q0411 314N(or R).hope this helps mike

My ARB looks exactly as pictured on the passenger side and I now have a loud knocking over large/deep bumps although it seems to come from the driver's side. I drove over some uneven ground yesterday at a car boot sale which I suspect may have finished off the already failing sleeve or moved the ARB slightly.

I have read numerous threads about replacing the bushes etc and forgive my ignorance, but I can't understand how you actually get the old sleeves off the bar and the new ones on? Do you cut them off? Or slide them off/on the end of the bar once it's disconnected? Or have I misunderstood something?

I am planning to fix this myself as cheap as possible as I am tight for money at the moment as am buying a house.

Hi
I went to my local VW dealer and bought the new rubber bushes (v6Q0411 314R) which fit onto the ARB without the old sleeves and that was it, an hour or so later done and all for only £5.47.
Well chuffed.

I have read numerous threads about replacing the bushes etc and forgive my ignorance, but I can't understand how you actually get the old sleeves off the bar and the new ones on? Do you cut them off? Or slide them off/on the end of the bar once it's disconnected? Or have I misunderstood something?

I am planning to fix this myself as cheap as possible as I am tight for money at the moment as am buying a house.

Hi Steve
Once the clamps and old rubber bushes are removed, the plastic sleeve should either fall off or be broken off with a little persuation. It is not replaced as the Polo bushes have a smaller inside diameter which grip the roll bar without the need for the sleeve.
Only snag is the sleeves incorporated a collar to prevent the bar moving sideways in the rubber bushes. Without the sleeves, sideways movement is only limited by the grip of the Polo bushes. As Badlyread indicated, he found the bushes loose their grip after a short time, allowing the bar to move again. Jubilee clips or the more elegant split collars can be used to limit this movement if it becomes a problem

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Had my local garage check out knocking from the front suspension for a few months-diagnosed n/s drop link.Replaced. A few days later and I noticed the knocking was back. They looked at it again and said the ARB coating had worn away causing the ARB to corrode. Not an MOT failure according to them.
After then failing an MOT I decided to take the car elsewhere to get repaired as I was pxxxxd at them not finding the fault first time and misleading me.
This is not a cheap repair as they do indeed need to drop the subframe to fit correctly. A good 5 hours work.
My advice. Get any knocking from the front suspension checked out straight away and don't be afraid to get a second opinion.

knocking anti roll bar

I had knocking to the front nearside (passenger) suspension.

i suspected the droplinks and roll bar bushes.

from ebay i purchased 2x droplinks for £15 delivered (and before you say it they were new and in german packaging complete with locking nuts), and from my local audi parts dealer 2x roll bar bushes part no 8Z0411314B 18mm

i have the original anti roll bar with the plastic sleeves.
the droplinks were shot and easily replaced with a socket set, 2x jacks (1 being the car jack) and a spanner set,

on inspecting the arb i noticed the knocking was coming from the roll bar having mover horizontaly from its corect position over to the off side of the car so on going over large bumps in the road the roll bar was catching the subframe causing the knock.

so both wheels off and car placed on axle stands

i then had to slacken off both arb u clamps and remove the n/s bush before pulling the bar back through into the correct position, it had shifted about 1-2 inches over to the offside, i then fitted the new bushes and placed a jubilee clip on the bar on the outside of the bush to hopefully stop it moving again.

on test drive the knock has gone, it may not hold up for long with jubilee clips to stop the horizontal movement so my next thought is to fabricate some metal discs from steel to be welded to the bar like the replacement arb and get someone to weld them on should only cost a tenner.

i will report on how long the fix lasts until the knocking returns (it may not return who knows??) if it lasts 12 months i will just keep replacing the bushes at only £5 for two it will still be cheaper than a new roll bar.

hope this helps someone

simon

Back