Advice sought: CV boot replacement?

ilmu

Hi again, tried to search forums but no joy: How big job is it to change a CV boot? Which tools and parts are needed? (apart from the obvious CV boot.. :)) Thanks!

Hi ilmu
I don't think anyone in the club has replaced a CV joint boot (assume its the outer one) so this summary is not written from experience but a best guess

Parts
Hub centre nut
Boot kit which includes the clips, grease, shaft circlip etc
Loctite - To bond the cv joint splines into the wheel hub (prevents fretting)

Tools
36mm ? 12point socket for hub centre nut
balljoint splitter
Large puller to press out driveshaft from hub
Wedge - blunt screwdriver or chisel to open up lower suspension strut split clamp
Axle stands and jack

The outer cv joint is held onto the driveshaft with an internal circlip. A sharp blow with a plastic mallet should release the joint

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
CV joints

Hi,

If it is the same as the A4, you do not need a balljoint splitter. The Audi mecanics use the old/removed hub nut to push the balljoint. Need to remove 2 clips. What they hold = do not know. I was standing behind the guy. Did not do it mysef. Once the nut is bolted as far as it will go, you sometime need to slam the nut head with a hamer to loosen the balljoint. Everything is included in the kit. The grease as well. Kit +- 35 Euro per side. Audi price with kit = +-120 Euro.
Those nuts (hub) are a pain to remove. Torque use is enormous and the nut threads are fine.

Good luck,
didier

Hi ilmu
I don't think anyone in the club has replaced a CV joint boot (assume its the outer one) so this summary is not written from experience but a best guess

Parts
Hub centre nut
Boot kit which includes the clips, grease, shaft circlip etc
Loctite - To bond the cv joint splines into the wheel hub (prevents fretting)

Tools
36mm ? 12point socket for hub centre nut
balljoint splitter
Large puller to press out driveshaft from hub
Wedge - blunt screwdriver or chisel to open up lower suspension strut split clamp
Axle stands and jack

The outer cv joint is held onto the driveshaft with an internal circlip. A sharp blow with a plastic mallet should release the joint

Cheers Spike

Back