Is my clutch going?

Meg-A2-91

I noticed earlier that when I press down on the clutch it makes a squeeking noise, and the same when coming up on the clutch as well..

Is it going or am I just being silly??! :eek:

Thanks..

Meg xx

My A2 has been doing some noise when:

- clutch pedal goes down and up,
- changing gear and most obvious is from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st at low speed.

It has now 147.000 km, so I've decided to anticipate a failure (a clutch always breaks when you don't really want it to break :D), and change the complete clutch kit + gearbox oil purge and refill.

hmmm... could be clutch release bearing running dry of oil. do you do or has the car done lots of town driving(clutch depressed allot at lights junctions)as this really heats this bearing up.unfortunately this isn't serviceable IE greased. only way of changing it is gearbox off and swap it out for a new one-along with a clutch if it has high mileage. if its any consolation it should keep working like that for ages.
fingers crossed for you mike

The both times Iv heard it, Iv been driving in traffic for about 40 mins - so thats a good suggestion A2sumo!

I'll go and see if I can hear anything this morning, seeing as the car hasnt been driven since last night.

Anyone any idea on how long the clutch on the A2 will last?? About 50k miles? Suppose I best had keep on top of that, as shes done 42k miles now

Thanks guys...

Hi Meg
I agree with Mike's diagnosis of the clutch release bearing. I had the 'whirring' noise on a previous 90 quattro. The bearing is stationary until you start pressing the pedal when the bearing makes contact with the rotating clutch cover. It spins until you release the pedal. The gearbox on my quattro was such a pain to remove, I put up with the noise for about 8000 miles. When I did change the bearing it was totally dry (no grease left) but still looked good for another 10k miles.
How long does a clutch last??? Wear on the clutch friction plate is dependent on driving conditions and driver skill. Rarely travel in dense, stop-start traffic and it could last 150,000 miles but live in London and it could be 30,000. See comments from Humps who lives in London - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=74973&postcount=3

Cheers Spike

It would be false economy to just replace the bearing. A full clutch kit is the only sensible way to go, which will include the clutch cover, friction plate and release bearing.
While the gearbox is off the flywheel should be checked for signs of wear or scorching, and replaced if anything adverse is noticed.

I would expect the labour charge to be anywhere between £300 - £450 + VAT depending on flywheel inspection.

Cheers

Jeff

Back