glowplug flasher

Cabrach

It's back,same as last year,the brake light switch was the culprit. It was done by my local audi garage (Fontain Motors), switch cost £6.93... with labour and vat it finally cost £84.

So,does anyone know how a layman might possibly do the job himself?

Thank you for reading this plea,

cabrach:)

Doddle!

Step 1: Remove the light switch by pressing the knob in, turning clockwise by a little amount and then pulling the entire assembly out.

Step 2: Remove the lower dash panel by unclipping it from the top half of the dash. There are 3 clips in total, 2 on the light switch side of the steering wheel and one on the radio side. No special tricks here, just get your fingers in the joint and pull backwards, sharply and progressively and the clips will give eventually.

Step 3: Fold down the lower dash panel, so that it hooks and stays below the lower A pillar trim. Be careful here, as it's easy to snap a part of the trim if you're not careful.

Step 4: Look for the screw holding the black air duct in place. Unscrew it and remove the air duct - it's a push fit, so wiggle it and pull towards the drivers' door.

Step 5: Look for the connector with 4 wires going into it (flat, horizontally mounted). This is the brake pedal wiring - squeeze the sides of the connector in and pull it back and out. Then, grasp the brake pedal switch itself, i.e. where the connector plugged in, and twist it 90 degrees anti-clockwise and backwards to remove it.

Step 6: Insert the new switch and twist into position, re-assemble, doing the above in reverse.

Simples!

Cheers,

Mike

Brake light switch has gone twice in 2 years on mine. I did this very job myself the other day thanks to the helpful folks on this forum, and I'm no mechanic. Switch cost £8.11 and I changed it in IKEA car park the other day in 15 minutes. It's a bit fiddly but straightforward.

I had no idea it was £84 at a main dealer! Quite pleased that A2OC has saved me £££'s...

Jon

It's amazing the number of people who've had multiple brake switch failure - I've yet to have one of them go on me (he said touching wood!!).

With practise, this job takes 5 minutes tops and you don't need to take the vent out either, but it's a lot easier when it is removed.

Cheers,

Mike

It's amazing the number of people who've had multiple brake switch failure - I've yet to have one of them go on me (he said touching wood!!).

With practise, this job takes 5 minutes tops and you don't need to take the vent out either, but it's a lot easier when it is removed.

Cheers,

Mike

Just out of interest, I took apart the faulty brake switch that I removed to see if there was any sign of what had failed on it. Inside there was some blackening around what looked like a +positive terminal (pin#1 as marked), and a bit of corrosion on the terminal itself...

Jon

Edit: I still have the previous faulty one I took out last year, and have just dismantled it too - same blackening and corrosion around the same terminal. Could it be fuse related...?

Last edited:
Back