Tank Written Off?

Skipton01

Admin Team
I had an accident in Tank tonight - front end is mashed in and I'm shaken up!

No airbag deployment from front or side, but rad and condenser are toast, as is the intercooler.

Let's see what insurance say, but it's gonna be close!

Cheers,

Mike

Blimey! Hope you ok and Tank makes a full recovery. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's not damaged beyond repair... :(

Jon

Looks like it'll be rad, condenser, intercooler, lock carrier, bumper, grille, crash members, possible climate parts and pipework.

No airbag deployment so no internal damage, steering felt fine on the tow home too, but alternator and coolant warnings were sounding.

Front offside wing has slid back around 5mm making door opening tricky, but all else is fine, including the screen. Oh, and the bonnet is crumpled!

Could have been worse, a lot worse, but I'm hopeful that the repairs will come in at less than £3k, so it should be a repair job and fortunately, the aluminium Bodyshop is just down the road from me.

If I can bear to, I'll post photos up tomorrow.

Cheers

mike

(Now on a mission to make Tank 200% better!!!)

So very sorry to hear this news but glad you are OK Mike. Take it easy for a few days, even the smallest of collisions can be hard going on the body and soul and this sounds like a fair crump. Look forward to Tank being on the mend by 200% - Maybe you can squeeze a 2.0TDi DSG in there when the fronts dismantled :D

Last edited:
Really Really sorry to hear that.
You are OK and thats the main thing. Sounds like tank will be needing a bit of TLC, but repairable.

Look on the bright side, at least now its Cat C you will definately keep it for life, as the trade-in will be half what it was ;-(

I feel very sad for you Mike. Hopefully, in a few months this will be gone and Tank will be hitting the road again !

Take some rest mate as even the smallest of the accidents can be rude for the body and soul...

Mike,

So very sorry to hear your latest news. The positive comfort is in Tanks durability; the fact that you escaped unscathed physically, albeit emotionally scarred.

I, (like everyone that frequents these pages and knows you personally or knows of you), sincerely hope that Tank is indeed gracing our roads again in the very near future under your instruction.

Best of luck with everything and we are all pleased to learn of your personal safety "first and foremost".

Regards,

Darren, Di, Kayleigh & Bump

SHOCK HORROR I couldn't beleive what my eyes were telling me ! I'm gutted for you mike -also releived your ok.let's hope that the insurance people an get tank repaired and to your satisfaction! But I'm sure you have many ideas on how to improve tank-faster-more unique......tank will survive.
If you need anything just let me know cheers mike

Oh no!! the legend might be written off, really glad to hear that you are ok!! i will hope for the best for tank!

Chris

Sorry to hear your news Mike, but glad you're okay.

Based on Martings "Absolutely Gutted" threat, surely Tank will be saved!

Graham

sorry to hear your news Mike, however the most important issue is that you are unscathed physically. as others have said a few days R & R will help you, the car after all is replacable, people aren't.

Thanks for the thoughts guys - you're all right, Tank will be repairable, but the fact that I'm ok is just as important (not necessarily more important - I will self repair FOC in time, he costs dosh!, which is something in short supply at the moment!).

Bashed knee, tweaked neck and bruised pride is all I have - just been on to the insurers and because I'm insisting on the Audi Aluminium bodyshop for the repairs, as opposed to their own place, it'll take an extra week or so, but it's worth it in my book.

In the meantime, I'll probably start to work on him to see if I can't make inroads to getting him back in the rudest of health.

Photos to come!

Cheers,

Mike

OK, photos for your delight!

DSC_1787.jpg

And another view

DSC_1788.jpg

Amazing amount of deformation to say that there's no airbag deployment. The corners of the screen have gone and the drivers door alignment is a tiny bit out, but that's mainly due to the way the wing is pressing up on it.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I've not often had a chance to post on here, even though I have valued greatly the advice from you and others on here - but I wanted to say that I was really sorry to hear about Tank - I hope you are able to see the car back on the road soon!

All the best
San

Im hopefull looking at your pics,Either way dont let them take it away :-(

Hope your ok yourself Mike,at least you wernt on any Motorbike :(

Future good health to you and yours

The pics kinda bring it all home. Looks very sad and forlorn does our wee Tank ( nice coating of wax though Mike!) Anyhoo - Skip is fine which is the main thing and I reckon this is just the wee fella asking for a face lift! :p Maybe its a 5 year birthday crisis thing - or maybes he didnt like the nice black grille!! :D :D

Back