abs/braking problems

Thanks Spike.

I have just been looking through a few of the VAG COM posts to which you have contributed.

Is the 409.1 worth a shot for detecting what may be wrong with the ABS/ESR?

Do you have any experience of the hand held unit? Dont really have the funds to go the whole hog, so was wondering whether it was a worthy compromise.

Would be interested in setting the anti hijack too, would either of these options be able to do that?

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VAGUSB.html

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_GDVAGPRO.html

cheers,

James:)

Hi James
Sorry to say I have no experience of the lower cost code readers. I'd suggest you contact Gendan and explain your needs. That way you should have some comeback if the product they recommend does not do the job.
As Ross Tech (the VagCom parent company) gets no revenue from the many thousands of people who download and use their 409 software, I suspect the will pull the plug on it at some point.

Cheers Spike

Right, I now have the £20 cable from Gendan (really surprised how quickly it came!) and I scanned my car with the 409.1 software. Like ROB the scan came up with a front sensor fault, albeit the opposite side. I got the folowing results:

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Chassis Type: 8Z - Audi A2
Scan: 01,02,03,08,09,15,16,17,36,37,45,46,55,56,76

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller: 045 906 019 G
Component: 1,4l R3 EDC 0000SG 1281
Coding: 00005
Shop #: WSC 02154
WAUZZZ8ZZ1N041689 AUZ7Z0Y1768408
No fault code found.
Readiness: N/A

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 8Z0 907 379 B
Component: ESP 20 CAN V015
Coding: 10758
4 Faults Found:
00283 - Front Left ABS Wheel Speed Sensor (G47)
35-00 - -
00283 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
16-10 - Please Register/Activate – Intermittent
(16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications – Intermittent)

00283 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
04-10 - Please Register/Activate – Intermittent
(04-10 - Mechanical Malfunction – Intermittent?)

01130 - ABS Operation
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

The last fault (01130) i cleared and so far it hasn't come back (yet).

I have read around this (and other forums) regarding the 00283 fault code.

http://oldforums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=66324&page=2

This one reckoned it may to do with the icey roads, and a build up of ice/dirt impeding the sensor (although i think my errors started the day before all the snow!).

Wondering whether it could be a short circuit as Zorka experienced (it mentions it here http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/00283) - does anyone know how i can test this theory?

Also does anyone know the part number for the sensor? I saw it on a thread on here a few days ago ( i think), but cant for the life of me find it now!!

Thanks very much,

James

Last edited:
First step is to change speed sensor as it is not very expensive. Mine was quite difficult to remove it was cut into small pieces and then there were removed.
When you remove it in one piece have a look at housing, if it is ok there should be no problem with short circuits.
Speed sensor can be bought from others vendors not only from Audi, but i do not recommend this because of quality issues.

Last edited:
Hi Rob/Zorka thanks for your replies.

I bought an ABS speed sensor and had it fitted today (not from Audi, they wanted £125 :eek::eek:). I didnt fit the part, but it seemed quite straight forward with the correct tools! If you jack the car up (we used a trolley jack) and turn the wheel on full left lock (if you are replacing the left sensor) this should give you enough space to get to the sensor without removing the brake calliper or spray shield. As Mike said it is a 5mm allen key bolt that holds the sensor in place.

I have re-scanned the car - three faults relating to the 00283 code have now gone (not sure whether this is a coincidence), but one fault still remains - 000283 35-00. Not sure what the '35-00' bit means?!

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Chassis Type: 8Z - Audi A2
Scan: 01,02,03,08,09,15,16,17,36,37,45,46,55,56,76

Address 01: Engine
Controller: 045 906 019 G
Component: 1,4l R3 EDC 0000SG 1281
Coding: 00005
WAUZZZ8ZZ1N041689 AUZ7Z0Y1768408
No fault code found.
Readiness: N/A

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 8Z0 907 379 B
Component: ESP 20 CAN V015
Coding: 10758
1 Fault Found:
00283 - Front Left ABS Wheel Speed Sensor (G47)
35-00 - -

Is it possible to clear fault codes with the 409.1 version of Vag-com? When i run an auto-scan i try and click the 'clear all DTC's' button, but an error comes up saying 'professional grade interface required for this function.'

Also, does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can do to solve this problem? Where does the speed sensor wire run from/to? I read of someone fixing a similar problem by fiddling with a connection in the dash?!

Many thanks for everyones suggestions and replies so far the help is much appreciated! :)

Cheers,

James

Last edited:
Just to clarify, after reading another thread. I have tried clearing the fault when just scanning the ABS module, and the fault then reappears after a few seconds.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can do to solve this problem? Where does the speed sensor wire run from/to? I read of someone fixing a similar problem by fiddling with a connection in the dash?!

Many thanks for everyones suggestions and replies so far the help is much appreciated! :)

Cheers,

James

Checking the wire is last thing that can be done. You can also change the wheel hub but I would rather recommend a garage (not Audi) with ABS electronic expert.

Hi guys
I just came back from Audi Plymouth, after a week of annoying dashboard light of brake faulty. It turned out it is O/F Front wheel speed sensor fault and a new loom is required. They quoted me 316 +VAT which is &*@ ing ridiculous. Is there a posibility to change it myself?? I have to change the front discs anyway so I will do it at the same time.
Is Audi the only source for that??

Zorka I can see you are Poland based, I am Polish UK based
Cheers

Depending on where in the loom the fault is, you can easily do this yourself - the loom is around £40 and the sensor is around£50. If the fault is before the loom enters the engine bay, then it's a DIY job and you've saved around £220!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike. I assume the only source to get the parts is Audi??
Can I get them somwhere else?? Kevin Coopers Motor factors maybe??

Looks similar, but looks aren't everything. The Audi part may be a little more, but you get the peace of mind of 2 years warranty.

Cheers,

Mike

Back