Group buy / order: 0.65 / 0.643 5th for TDI

bretti_kivi

One of the guys from the German forum has expressed vague interest in getting hold of some of these gear sets.
Now, my question is: who wants one? It will be in exchange(!!) but that's the easy bit, as shipping from the UK is silly cheap.

The price mentioned before is around €160, I will have to see what happens to that, I don't know.

But who's interested anyway?

Please reply if you are, the course is 28.2, so any attendees would be back first week in March. I can probably also organise fitting in Finland if you're that interested and I know at least one of the cars there will have the mod already done.

Bret

Im interested if a fitter in the UK can be found who can do it as reliably and cheaply as the Germans! Thats the big question mark for me. When you say exchange do you mean that after the cog swap the old cogs need to be sent to Germany? Put me in as a probably and lets get the forum investigating skilled UK gearbox mechanics

yep, the old cogs need to go back, probably. We can do that via a collection point in the UK and then pharos.

Bret

I'm definately interested although it is again on the proviso we can find UK fitment. If there are instructions avilable from the German forum i can get a translation.

Could someone explain the benefit with the change, i know it will drop the revs cruising in 5th/better mpg, anything else?
I am interested, as i do alot of motorway miles:D

Less noise, less wear and tear will be other advantages I hope and improve the life of the car. In addition if it drops the revs to nearer peak torque it will also help with quick and safe overtaking. In other words alround 'driveability' should improve. Perhaps if we can get a link to a german forum member who has had this carried out would be good and if it needs a translation i can organise.

Just been doing a few sums!

If you get a 5% increase in MPG, that would save me around £40 a year on 8000miles.

So it would take around 8 years to pay for the conversion, 16 years if I have the engine remapped to gain the full benefit.

As the Dragons say, I'm out!

It would be nice, but all the same benefits can be had by driving a bit slower.

200 miles at 70mph takes 171 mins.
200 miles at 65mph takes 184 mins.

Not that much difference really.

1880 - 2220 is around 300rpm, so ca. 15% lower. I think that's a bit more of a difference :)
A more reliable source says 10% less.

Still, the amortisation isn't particularly rapid.

Bret

I've just been looking on vagcat.

I was wondering how easy a job it was, as the labour element is quite small, and the costs only account for an hour or so of labour. Therefore it must be relatively easy.

In the diagram I think part number 30 is the 5th gear. It looks like it is the last cog on, and is held in place by 1 torx bolt and a spring washer.

The 5th gear cog is listed as 68 Euro.

If I can source the right cog, I might give it a go.

I been trying to copy the image to this page but can't

You can find it here
http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/A2/2002/248/51/3099332/

Does anyone know if i'm on the right lines?

I'll agree that it should be pretty simple.

partnumbers:
Zahnrad 28/40: 02A311361AM --> 74,82 inkl.
Schaltrad 28/40: 02A311158AF --> 117,74 inkl

Übersetzung 5.Gang (ändern)
Bei meinem A2 TDI 90 PS folgende Veränderung.
Am 27.09.2006 habe ich die Übersetzung beim 5.Gang von 0.7 auf 0.6458 geändert.

Übersetzung alt 0.7 /////// Übersetzung neu 0.6458

km/h 100 = 2050 1/min //// 1940 1/min - 110 1/min
km/h 120 = 2450 1/min //// 2280 1/min - 170 1/min
km/h 140 = 2980 1/min //// 2700 1/min - 280 1/min
km/h 160 = 3380 1/min //// 3060 1/min - 320 1/min
km/h 180 = 3800 1/min //// 3450 1/min - 350 1/min

55KW original: 34/45 = 0,7555
66KW original: 28/40 = 0,7000
Rosenkranz: 31/48 = 0,645833

2hrs work time.

Bret

Last edited:
I've just been looking on vagcat.

I was wondering how easy a job it was, as the labour element is quite small, and the costs only account for an hour or so of labour. Therefore it must be relatively easy.

In the diagram I think part number 30 is the 5th gear. It looks like it is the last cog on, and is held in place by 1 torx bolt and a spring washer.

The 5th gear cog is listed as 68 Euro.

If I can source the right cog, I might give it a go.

I been trying to copy the image to this page but can't

You can find it here
http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/A2/2002/248/51/3099332/

Does anyone know if i'm on the right lines?

Hi Black Pearl,

There was a series of photographs on the German site of the cog change procedure. The good news is that it can be done with the gearbox in place.

John.

So is the replacement cog a VAG part or custom? I think I would take the plunge and get the longer gear option of the two suggested. Im speaking to an independent VAG garage tomorrow to scope them out about the work. I used to use them before I started maintaining my cars myself. Dont think its a diy job!

is there a how to do guide?

Im sure I saw/heard someone fix an A2 box with sKoda octavia bits>?

maybe cheaper if you can find the same ratio.

How only 2 hours?

Last edited:
At a 5% improvement in economy that will save me @ £100 a year. However it is about 'optimisation' for me so am happy with the costs so far...... Along with some of the 1.2TDi aero trim I will hopefully acheive my aim of 60+mpg average up from my current 55.

Thanks John, I remember seeing it somewhere too.

Brett, Which is the part numbers for the longest gears? Is it where you say Rosenkranz? Is that the make?

Do you know where I would get it? I have a german friend (Dortmund) who could order the parts, if I knew what I needed.

thanks

Back