Engine Judder while accelerating

keez

I have had ongoing problems with not so smooth acceleration, before I used to have a nice burst of accelerating power but now particularly gas pedal fully pressed uphills and 3-4-5 gear transmission I get more of a judder style of acceleration.

My car was due a service and I thought that would sort out the problem but still having the same issue. 1.4 tdi 03 75bhp using shell diesel.

Any thoughts?

Hi Keez,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Do you know whether they changed the fuel filter during the last service? If the juddering only occurs on full throttle it could be a fuelling issue, a blocked or partially blocked fuel filter might cause this. Does the juddering (or rough running / idling) happen when cruising or idling? You could just have a poor quality batch of diesel? unlikely if you are using Shell???

Just a thought, I am sure you will get some more answers very soon!

David

PS love the colour of your A2!! Just like mine!

Last edited:
Hi Keez
If they did not do a diagnostic scan as part of the service that would be a good starting point.
Here's a couple of wild guesses - A few club members have had problems with faulty injector wiring looms and this seems to start as an intermittent misfire which gradually gets worse.
As the 'judder' happens under full throttle, a split a intercooler core or pipework could be causing loss of turbo boost. In severe cases this causes the engine to go into limp home mode. This can be reset by switching the engine off then back on.

Cheers Spike

Resolved?

Hi Keez,
I have same issue with my '02 A2 1.4 tdi, juddering or slipping around 3000K RPM when under load. Did you figure out what the problem was on your car?

thanks!
Sebastian

No, I haven't found the problem however something more worrying has happened this morning on the way to work. I now seem to be struggling to reach over 50 or stay at a decent speed uphills. Usually when i'm full on the gas it will take off.

I'm dreading the drive back home, hopefully it was just misbehaving itself but last thing i want to know is my turbo is goosed.

Is there something seriously wrong?

I would get an error code scan as a priority, but my tuppence-worth suggestions would be:

1. split boost hose somewhere
2. MAF on the blink
3. fuel filter blocked
4. injector wiring loom (although this usually causes misfiring at idle as well)

All of the above are easily fixed.

Spoke to the last guy who did my service and told him this problem. He did say in addition to the Diagnostic scan - the fuel filter wasn't changed and said this was a good chance it could be it, especially in wintry conditions. Phoned up a a garage who said the way fuel filter is located in a 1.4tdi, the 'housing' could be cracked doing the job. Does anyone know what he is talking about?

Not meaning to hijack the thread but our TDi 75 has a similar issue and, funnily enough, it has only started since I replaced the fuel filter myself. It seems such a simple job that it would be difficult to foul it up but maybe I have?

It only happens very rarely but there's momentary hesitation in acceleration, sometimes happens a couple of times at once and then it's fine for days. The filter was a brand new Audi supplied OEM part.

Just out of curiously, phoned kwik fit to see how much they would change my fuel filter. They quoted me 19.75 including labour. Thinking this was too good to be true, headed over, 30 mins later the guy called me over and told me he couldn't find the bloomin filter!!

Can't use my car now till the new year when I'm due a diag scan :(

Just out of curiously, phoned kwik fit to see how much they would change my fuel filter. They quoted me 19.75 including labour. Thinking this was too good to be true, headed over, 30 mins later the guy called me over and told me he couldn't find the bloomin filter!!

Can't use my car now till the new year when I'm due a diag scan :(

There's no way they can change the filter for that price - it's a tenner less than the cost of the filter alone!

Be wary of aftermarket filters as they are of variable quality and can be more trouble than they're worth.

Cheers,

Mike

Back