Concert Radio volume Faulty

bazza

Hi All,

I've just bought my awesome A2 and unfortunately :mad: my Concert has the common volume fault.
Does anyone know which Audi radio's I could try find to replace this with, bearing in mind I have the BOSE system installed. Id Preferably like something with double dinn like the Symphony but im not sure I could have this as my climate control is below the radio with a storage compartment under that.

Would it be possible to replace my cassette Concert with the cd front loader or (holding thumbs) would on of Audi's Sat Navs fit? :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi Bazza and welcome.

What do you mean by the common volume fault, as there's nothing of note ever been listed with the A2 radios?

If you have a single height unit fitted, you cannot fit a double height unit in there, even if you shuffle the climate panel around, so don't waste you time looking in this direction.

If you wanted an OE sat nav system fitting, then the only option is the RNS-E and you'd need a new dash. All inclusive costs would total around £1500!

Also, if you've the 2001 model, you'll not have something called CAN which is needed for all the later radios, so you're limited to 2001/2002 units.

Best bet is to leave the radio in and fit an iPod interface.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the quick reply.

My current radio blasts out at full volume as you turn it on, apparently this is due to a chip being faulty. Are there any other Audi Factory radios besides the concert that would be compatible with my A2? I dont really want to ruin the nice flush look with aftermarket ones.

I found this from one of the other treads, and similar ones on google:

It is a well known issue and you have to install a new radio. The problem is only at cold temperature. The EPROM (like RAM memorry) ALWAYS saves the new level of volume when turning the radio off. And this EPROM unit lifes only for a vew thousands savings of volume level. So this is a constructive problem and There was (is) a special service if you ask exclusive for that problem, and Audi sells you a new radio in exchange for only 50€.

Edit: the problem ist not an EPROM, but a motorola microcontroler.
read all about: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthr...214#post548214

Translation from google, with mistakes :
Quote:
Hello!
The problem is 100% of the MC68HC05 Motorola microcontroller AUDI Chorus and Concert AUDI car radios!
Affected models are the following:

Car Radios
Part number
AUDI Chorus
7 646243380 ***
AUDI Chorus
*** 4B0 035152 A
AUDI Chorus A8
7 647243 380
AUDI Chorus M4
7 6482453804 B0 035152 B
AUDI Concert
7 6462483804 B0 035 186
AUDI Concert A8
7 647248380 ***
AUDI Concert M4
7 6482473804 B0 035186 C
AUDI Concert M4
7 6462483804 B0 035186 B
AUDI TT Concert
AUDI Concert NAV
7 647247 380

The cause of the Microcontoller dying is a Irsinnige programming (software) to the car radios.
The processor (Chip) consists of a controller with associated RAM and EEPROM.
The controller, the control program, and stores values in the volatile RAM memory, and some values such as the volume in the non-volatile EEPROM memory. It is always the last volume setting.
The Irsinn the Blaupunkt designers now is that the value of the volume with each change will be written into the EEPROM. Constructed ergiebt the 32 entries into the EEPROM with a full rotation of quiet to very loud.

Now everyone can calculate how often the EEPROM per year of the processor is described.

Would still fairly regardless if so EEPROM not the wicked property after ca.50000 programming would have to die.
The chip then remembers only the values at higher temperatures, in cold noticed is the familiar problem.
The remedy with the IC heating also helps not wirlich long because the destruction process of the EEPROM only accelerated.

One solution is actually only the microprocessor exchange with the game at 50000 volume changes start from the front. So after about 2-5 years of the same from the front.

Last edited:
I think the volume issue on concert 1 is rather common, if not limiting to the A2. I'm seeing signs of it now. Volume control is very sensitive and goes either very quiet or very loud. Except I've already got a spare headunit (minus the code) if it all goes bang.

Great news is that I found someone that will permanently fix it AND gives a 3 year guarantee! All for £71 inc p+p

His name is Kristian from sapsuk.com
The website wont be complete until next week but there is a number you can call.

Volume

Hi

Im not 100% sure about this but its worth a try before parting with cash?

In my first A2 i put up with a faulty volume for years with Audi saying no can fix !
Then one day I gave an electrician a lift. He commented on volume problems I said its knackered He says you Joking this is common on Radios went into a big explanation i think about a capacitor (cant remember) Pulls off the button cleaned it all with a wipe he had in his box Fixed it
I had suffered this for years
Worth a go
If you need to change i always felt a LCD touch screen no buttons would look the business but pricy
Cheers
Mal

Back