Sidelights ticking sound w/o sidelights on

Jaci

Strange problem, when I turn off sidelights, sometimes I still can hear sidelights ticking sound for two or there seconds. Sometimes this sound appears even without turning on and off sidelights. Has anyone experienced something like this?

Do you mean the noise is coming from the headlight units or you hear it while inside the car after turning off the lights

Cheers Spike

Do you mean the noise is coming from the headlight units or you hear it while inside the car after turning off the lights

Cheers Spike

Inside the car. Sidelights is wrong word maybe. I mean direction indicator.

I understand the problem now. It could be the flasher (direction indicator) relay or possibly the central convenience unit (CCU) There is more info here - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11254&highlight=flasher+relay
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3637&highlight=flasher+relay

Cheers Spike

It is just a meter of right word :), thats is why i could not find this threads, thanks spike.
The question now is how to check if the indicator stalk has good ground? As I suppose in my case it is not indicator relay.

Found solution. In such case stalk contacts needs cleaning. To do this it is essential to remove steering wheel and airbag. Other possibility is to apply some WD40 to indicator stalk contacts, then move the stalk very fast up and down for a second. Now it works ok I will see for how long.

Indicator problems

Have just been reading all the threads on this subject. I have experienced some erratic behaviour over the last few days; sometimes they work OK, sometimes they flash twice and stop etc etc...
I have memories of old BMC cars of the '70s and remembered those pesky little brass contacts on the stalk so thought I would try the WD40 trick on the stalk contacts but it made no difference, possibly made it worse. Sought advice of an Audi friend and he changed the relay behind the hazard switch (£25 app) all seems fine now.
Hope someone finds this useful.

Have just been reading all the threads on this subject. I have experienced some erratic behaviour over the last few days; sometimes they work OK, sometimes they flash twice and stop etc etc...
I have memories of old BMC cars of the '70s and remembered those pesky little brass contacts on the stalk so thought I would try the WD40 trick on the stalk contacts but it made no difference, possibly made it worse. Sought advice of an Audi friend and he changed the relay behind the hazard switch (£25 app) all seems fine now.
Hope someone finds this useful.

If indicator is flashing randomly it is a different thing - relay that is why WD40 made no difference. This WD40 trick it is only when you hear and indicator sound, without flashing, after turning it off.

Back