I've lost a nipple.....

Lee S

.....from the end of the underside of my wiper arm. Now I have a scraping noise when the wiper is going and a small scratched area of the windscreen right at the botttom.

Is it possible to buy another one of the little rubber/plastic nipple things, or would I have to buy a whole new wiper arm? Alternatively, Would a little dab of silicon or something else work? A little PTFE disc maybe? What has everyone else done if they have lost their nipple??

I am guessing it came off in the ice or snow.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Hi Lee
The arm should not be that close to the screen anyway. I'd bend the end of the arm towards the screen so you have at least 10mm clearance with the blade in contact with the screen. The rubber bung is only there to prevent damage to the glass if the wiper rubber separates from the blade etc. When working on the arm I always place an old folded up towel on the screen just in case the arm snaps back. A couple of members have cracked their windscreens when this happened.
Seem to recall Skipton suggested a dab of silicon sealer as an alternative to the rubber.

Cheers Spike

Hmm - my arm has started clunking too, can someone do a handy picture with a handy pointy arrow so I know where to look to apply the bung replacement gunk, if that's what's causing it (which it sounds like it probably is)?

Hi - I have recently switched to an A2, and discovered this problem on my first day of ownership. Thanks to this forum, I realised that it was the missing nipple that was causing the problem. I have solved this problem (temporarily) with an eraser from the end of a pencil, a short piece of wooden cocktail stick, anf plenty of black insulating tape. I cut the eraser to around 5 mm, pushed a 7mm piece of cocktail stick in to it (not all the way through), and placed the other end of the stick into the vacant hole on the wiper arm. Whilst holding the eraser/stick ensemble in place, I wrapped it with the insulating tape to keep it in place. It has been in place for a week's worth of rain storms, and not a peep from the rattle. Don't know how long it will last, but I can easily replace it again, and cheaper than buying a replacement wiper arm :D

Back