AC Problem - Blowing 'burst' of hot air

Foghorn

Given that I am having problems with my 993 AC the issues are now spreading to my A2!

I run on 22 DegC in Auto mode all the time and never have an issue as it chills and warms according to ambient temperature. However recently whilst cool/chilled air is being pumped out in Auto mode every now and then I get a sudden burst of warm air for approx 1 second (at the same fan speed etc) before it reverts back to cool air even though the outside/ambient temp is unchanged. Seems to happen once every 10-15 mins.

Anyone have any knowledge?

Well, it's not good news Brian, but this sounds like the symptoms I had a couple of years back just before my compressor died!

It's caused by the clutch slipping every so often and although you can replace the clutch in isolation, ordinarily you'll find that the faiilure is due to an internal cause.

The compressors can be replaced DIY, but you'll need to get a mobile gasser to come to you before you even start the engine, otherwise internal failure will occur again, as there'd be no lubricant in the system.

Cheers,

Mike

run a "stellglieddiagnose" on the climate system first. It's possible one of the flaps has died (common) and is pushing air around the system in a wrong way.
There's a thread on how to do this on the forum.

Bret

Mike thanks - but what I can't understand is that the 'burst' of air is actually warm/hot and warmer than the ambient temperature. If the clutch was on its way out on the compressor would I not just then get a burst of ambient air?

Mike thanks - but what I can't understand is that the 'burst' of air is actually warm/hot and warmer than the ambient temperature. If the clutch was on its way out on the compressor would I not just then get a burst of ambient air?
That's not the compressor, nor the individual flaps behind the outlets. They won't cause HOT air to come out for a short time.
I don't know how it it called, but the culprit is the device that mixes hot and cold air to achieve the temperature calculated by the aircon central unit. This device also contains a potentiometer fixed to a "flap". It can't hold the wanted steady position to achieve the right mix of cold and hot air, it oscillates.
On the German A2 board, I remember that I saw a thread on how to cure this ; there was some "serious" dismantling involded, though, so it is a good idea to start first with the VAG-COM flap-training solution...

Back