Revs Dropping out and gunky engine

Hi - can anyone help? I have taken the car in 3 times now and the dealership cant get tot he source of the problems.

I have an A2 2002 Sport and in the last 8 months the revs drop out randomly; there is no assocaition with when they do it, but its very dangerous on a motorway in particular. In addition to this, the emissions valve has been gunked up and earlier in the year, the spark plug was gunked up. Everytime i have parts cleaned, the car runs well, but the rev drop out starts up again very soon and the car gets sluggish again.

I really need to get to the source of this problem, but until i 'demonstrate' the revs dropping the garage seems to think there is nothing wrong and keep fixing rather than solving the problem. Of course it happens so randomly i cant do this. Does anyone have any pointers, i really need to sort this one out as it would be gutted to have to let this car go.

Thanks

Raphael

Hi Raphael, welcome to the A2oc
Its a bit tricky trying to work out whats happening so we need some clarification before we can help.
First, your profile shows to have a diesel but then you mention spark plugs....which only petrol cars have. Petrol or Diesel (Just thought, maybe you meant glow plugs which diesels have for cold starting)
When you say the revs drop out, do you mean the car just gets slower or does the engine actually cut out and need restarting.
Do the revs drop only when the engine is working hard - going up hills etc
When the revs drop, will it run ok after switching the engine off then back on again

Cheers Spike

Back