Sport suspension lower than SE?

nuttinnew

A2OC Donor
After finding the Monroe Reflexes have raised the front 10mm I thought I'd price up some Sport fronts to rectify the situation but the Sport springs listed on Etka for my donkey are exactly the same as the SE ones:confused:
When I say exactly the same I mean the same part number! The dampers and bumpstops are different but unless the spring mount on the Sport damper are lower than the SE (and the bumpstops shorter to suit) I can't see how the Sport can be lower.

Self-edit....didn't check the top mounts; 9N Polos have two different types of top mounts listed, is the A2 the same?

That may explain the front but then what about the back? There is only the one listing, weight loadings being the main difference but then the later G22 is listed separately (maybe because of the 42l tank?) and with longer bumpstops :confused:

Hmm, plenty to be pondering :D

SE means 16" but normal suspension.

in Germany, the S-line version is lower (about 15mm).

This is the only original (=Audi) sports suspension.

That's where Etka is confusing though, it shows the front springs on my standard (SE) in the listing for Sport suspension also (it wasn't called S-Line over here).
If the springs are the same how can it be lower?

If someone has an online Etka or a picture they can post I'll show you what I mean :)

I have still got my old front springs for a TDI which were allegedly 'sport' springs, for what it is worth I could measure them / check the coloured dots on them.

Please don't try to use ETKA für suspension parts!! No one (in Germany in our Forum) will understand.

The same springs, yes. But a different wheight of car.
Guess, one will be lower!

So only ask Audi dealers, not the ETKA for springs.

With half a tank of fuel and the bottom floor and load cover back in it measured 34mm rear, 36mm front. A standard Sport measured 35mm front and rear (and I did get some odd looks in the Audi dealership when I did it:) ).

I can understand how all things being equal a heavier load will sit lower than a lighter load (filling the boot up shows this) but if the springs are rated for a certain axle load then there must be different springs for different ride heights if they maintain the same axle loading. If not then why not use 1.4 petrol springs to lower the front of a tdi (for instance)?

I do have heavier rated springs which I will fit at some point but I got these for use when it's fully loaded to keep it level, not to raise the rear when it's lightly loaded.

It was clearer with the Passat; 1BA was standard suspension, 1BE was Sport :)

If not then why not use 1.4 petrol springs to lower the front of a tdi (for instance)?
Oh, no, don't do that...
Length of springs is one thing, their "hardness" is another !
The hardness must be related to the weight of the axle. Period.

I've tried Weitec springs for 1.4 petrol on my 1.6 FSI, the ride was awful, too soft...

When I was going through springs in ETKA, I found 2 sets for my weight range and only one had the sport suspension code by it, as detailed in the info pages

John

Back