And the New A2 Tdi is out!!!!

Something you lot might be interested, there is a new model coming out imminently, I have driven it extensively, think everything the A2 had, just better trim, packaging, comfort, go & even economy going by my reckonings...

The most amazing part is the price will be about 11-14k & it wont be made by Audi. It's called the ix20 & its made by Hyundai I kid you not.

Seriously good bit of kit this & betters my A2 in almost every respect, mind you they've had at least 10 years to copy it!

http://motorimpress.com/hyundai/1st-official-pictures-of-hyundai-ix20.html

how is that better?
is it made from aluminium?
it doesn't look better from the outside
will it hold it's value?
will it's looks improve over time, A2 looks better now than at the launch
what about build quality?
will it have open sky (mine still works ok touch wood)?
£30 road tax?

Amazingly flexible interior?
..bit of a Tardis?

The ix20 is almost certainly a "great value car", considered in the short term. The spec vs cost is probably excellent. But in 15 years they'll be forgotten rust buckets, I'm sure. It's been said before on these forums, but the A2 was designed, not just made.

Also known as the Kia Venga....which as the Kia No.3 concept car looked very lovely indeed, but as the Kia Venga looks like the pensioner-mobile it most certainly sells as...which is a bit of a shame as Kia and Hyundai make pretty decent cars these days

...think everything the A2 had, just better trim, packaging...

I normally reserve judgement until I've seen the thing. But I've seen and been in enough of the S. Korean car maker's products to know, if one thing it will not have, is the trim and build quality. Not that they can't do Audi level build, trim and equipment, they just won't be able to make it at that price.

On the other hand the A2 lost money..... not really a sustainable way to run a business... I agree Hyundai/Kia make some very good cars and you have to remember they employ a lot of ex VAG designers and engineers. What is better buying a £13k car that is worthless in 10 years or a £20k car (probably what an a2 will cost when the new one comes along) that is worth £5k in 10 years, do the maths, whether we like it or not that is what most buyers who use their own cash do.... becuase most car buyers are not car enthusiasts.

Reminds me of the Golf advert on telly - Looks just like a Golf, sounds like a Golf but definitely not a Golf......

But in this case definitely not an Audi!!

Mo

Well I guessed it'd cause some discussion. However let me explain...

I work in the motor industry, I do launch work for almost all the mainstream manufacturers, so get to see all the new stuff the world over pretty much. I am not a Hyundai fan either, though I might be converted yet... Dont get me wrong I'm a fan of the A2 no doubt about it.

We often get insider info that the public dont get, so lets talk quality. There is an industry standard system that measures faults per car per first XYZ thousand miles. The Koreans are currently in the top 3 Audi/VAG are most definately not! That might suprise many people but its no lie.

Yes the A2 was a car 10 years ahead its time, quite literally, comparing it to cars out there now is what I'm on about as the A2 not available any more. (Industry speak is the the B-MAV segment these days) So if I wanted a new one would you automatically ask Audi?

Other manufacturers have moved on big time, investing billions, taking good bits of design from others & putting them where you want them. They even have british designers & key developement engineers. Sometimes they surprise you & I'm a hard one to surprise!

Having driven just about every car going, this car is the nearest thing to an A2 and quite frankly its a lot lot better, but then they have had 10 years to get it right.

how is that better?
is it made from aluminium?
it doesn't look better from the outside
will it hold it's value?
will it's looks improve over time, A2 looks better now than at the launch
what about build quality?
will it have open sky (mine still works ok touch wood)?
£30 road tax?

Apart from looks...

It's a steel bodyshell
£30 a year road tax - yes
Open sky - YES it has it on the £13k model
65mpg + on the 1.4 diesel 6 speeder, I even managed 88mpg eco driving one without too much difficulty. Build quality - was impressive, however ask any multifranchise Hyuandai dealer how big their warranty dept is compared to their other franchises, this answer surprised me the most!!!!!

At launch the Audi A2 was ahead of it's time in several ways but what made it unique was the aluminium.

Any new car wanting to be considered as the new Audi A2 would have to offer something equally as unique / ahead of it's time.

The Hyundai may well be an excellent car but it doesn't have that special something.

I think that has hit the nail on the head, the Venga/iX20 are good cars but do not deliver anything 'special'. The original Espace is remembered and now everyone does an Espace type vehicle and so on. Personally the A2 for me is not primarily about it being aluminium more about being such a clever design, a good drivers car (ride notwithstanding), economical, TT esque styling, big car spec in a small car and packaging and it is an Audi.

Ultimately it will be the packaging/drive/economy that will set the spec for the A2's replacement for me. In that respect the iX20 would be considered along with a host of other cars including Ibiza, Golf, A3 and so on.

It looks better from the hyundai website, but for £15k for diesel (style) I think I would have an A1 instead, or kia venga

I've not had my A2 very long but I can honestly say it's one of the very few cars I've ever driven that has the 'Grin Factor'. Over the years I've driven all sorts from exotic supercar to lowly Minis and Imps ( not always owned I hasten to add ) and almost without exception I can say that cars from the far east while technologically advanced and more often than not very reliable are completely 'Soul' less, they just don't have the 'Grin Factor'. It's getting to the point in our house that first up gets to take the A2 as opposed to the A6 which has got to say something for the A2. I know it's not a perfect car (show me the perfect car and I'll show you a liar ) and it has it's foibles but at least it has soul and does what it says on the tin withou pretending to be something its not. My only regret is not buying one earlier.

Interesting thread this. I rate Hyundai highly. When you see where they have come from to what they are today it's been an amazing journey. But their style is too non-descriptive for my liking. But the A2 is also 'odd' in many people's eyes. I also liked the Smart car I had, so what do I know ;)

Car forum member's are the worst for a voxPop, myself included, especially for single make forums like the A2. We like our A2 too much to sometimes take a step back and subjectively look at other cars, or imagine how 'normal' people might view cars.

My A2 still has plenty of life in it left, so I'm not yet worried what I will replace it with. But if I had to today, I'd at the very least take ix20 out for a test drive. What's to lose?

. I also liked the Smart car I had, so what do I know ;)

Will

I too had a Smart an original left hooker imported from France, Black Tridion with Aqua Green panels and full blue interior again a car with problems and foibles but a huge 'Grin Factor.' Maybe it's the quirkness that appeals, we don't just want to be one of the rat race, that's why we pick cars like the A2

I agree Will about forums, voxpop, objectivity (lack of), etc, although I can understand why some people like the Smart having hired one this summer it is not my sort of car.

ix20

The A2 is most certainly a classic, its looks and interior are pure quality you just know as soon as you sit inside behind the wheel that it sets a benchmark which will be hard to beat.
Looking at the pictures of the i80, they do not inspire me enough to go take a look, much like the A1 I am not inspired enough to go take a look.
I am content with my A2 and have been for six years, it will take something really special to make me change my A2. :):)

Back