Retrofitting BOSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2day

Probably this is old topic but here it goes:

Is it possible to retrofit the BOSE system onto the Concert II radio unit?
If so, is it possible to get the right parts?

Thanks for your feedback.
Cheers,
A2day

Speed doesn't kill... sudden deacceleration does!
small1.jpg
Audi A2 1.4 TDI
See it > http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/europe26.htm

One member of the german forum retrofitted it, but aparently it is quite an extensive job, and very expensive, if you don´t get all the parts from a scrapped A2...

Bye, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, TV, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

I also have read before that you need to change something with Vag-Com to work with Bose. Its something on the head unit needs to me changed.

JD

Having test driven both specifically to listen to the BOSE system, I can honestly say that it's not worth £450 as the factory option. Yes, at the traffic lights you can hear subtle differences, but when you factor in engine noise, wind noise, tyre noise and spouse noise, the diffence is inaudible.

Oh and in case you think I'm commenting as a layman, I'm not - I'm a Granada TV sound engineer![25]

A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!) Soon to be TDi 90 Sport with the full monty and red leather!

I would say get an aftermarket system like from halford or an audio shop.
Better speakers could be fitted, maybe an amplifier.

Black 2001 A2 with 16" 6 spoke, Open sky system, xenon lights, and concert single cd.
Tha Best

The A2 is the easiest car in the world to retrofit a decnet system to.

Get a decent 2 channel amp, replace the head unit with an aftermarket one, and get some good speakers for up front.
Thats all you really need...

and about a day to do the work.

Surprised to hear you say that it's easy to fit aftermarket ICE to the A2, as I have just been told by my tame ICE installer that it's often very difficult. THis is due to the car be fitted with CAN-BUS wiring apparently, which makes getting switched (or was it unswitched?) live feeds difficult - to name just one problem.

Does the model year make a difference to this? Did the CAN-BUS wiring come in later??? I am interested to hear comments as I am unimpressed with having only a cassette deck - and I've only had the car 1 day!

Getting both switched and unswitched 12v feeds can be problematic with CAN-bus wiring, but the full CAN-bus only appears on post 2001 model year A2's.
Fitting an aftermarket cd tuner is not really much of a problem. Step 1 - get the old unit removed (special keys needed, ask a dealer nicely).
Step 2 - fit fascia adapters (available from Halfords FP 05 04 from memory)
Step 3 - Fit head unit using shop bought loom adapters (possibly not needed for cars with front speakers only). If the car has CAN-bus wiring, have a look at the headunit manufacturers website for specific fitting kits.

As I've said elsewhere, Blaupunkt are ABSOLUTELY SUPERB!!!!
The technical expert in the UK, Bob, spent over half an hour on the phone with me today, to sort out the exact loom adapters needed.
If you are still to buy an aftermarket head unit, have a serious look at Blaupunkt ones, to see if they fit the bill. After all, they are mostly black (the DAB 54 even allows you to set the panel colour to one of 4096 shades, so you can exactly match the rest of the A2's illumination) and German, so are going to be as compatible with Audis as anything else you can buy.[25]

A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!) Soon to be TDi 90 Sport with the full monty and red leather!

switched 12V ignition feed is available behind fuse no. 31. the feed from the original concerts with CAN for the amp remote is also a disguised ignition feed.
personally, i've fitted new front and rear speakers, a cap and 2 signat amps. at the moment i have a 10" sub in the boot, and will be looking to replace this with something a little more integrated, i.e. in the space under the boot floor.
if your radio has only one knob, you have no can-bus for the radio and everything's quite simple. you do realise that blaupunkt make a lot of the OEM kit for the A2, no? ;)

the concert 2 head units use standard mini-iso connectors; they are simple to connect if you want to... try this pic: bl = blue, gn = green, ge = yellow sections of the mini-iso connector.
a2-hifi7.jpg

i will be dumping a cinch cable onto part of this to steal the line in from the cdchanger for my soon to turn up MP3 player....

Bret

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
2002, Petrol 1.4, 17", sports suspension, OpenSky, leather / alcantara in iceblue
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Hey Bretti,

thats very helpfull, thanks! I just have a single rotary knob in the centre of the Chorus head unit - so no CAN-BUS, I guess.

I did realise that Blaupunkt made some of the kit - but I'm really trying to keep the integrated look of the dash, so I'm not keen on fitting aftermarket head units on this car. On our C43 Merc, a Becker Monza looked as if it was always meant to be there - so that was fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back