Rattling from engine

A2_SAT

my car makes a sort of rattling noise from idle to about 1800rpm. sounds like something plasticky vibrating against something else. rises and falls with road speed.

Yeah mate think you might have the same noise as me,
Was at the audi dealer last week (Lea Valley Audi) and they told me that it was my anti roll bar and bushes.
Got this changed under warranty but still had noise.
went back and got told that it "might" be my cat converter (which isnt broken),so wasn't gonna pay £500 to find that i still have the noise.
so i left it a week and then went back had a road test came back with the result that it wasn't the cat converter but they needed to have it a day to check over the whole car, so im gonna leave it with them on monday.

I get really annoyed with small rattles so this is one i cant stand.
Will keep u guys posted.........................

Hi A2 Sat.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

I had the same and traced it to the fibrous cover sited on top of the engine coming into contact with the top block. Mine was vibrating at a specific engine speed in this range due to natural resonance.

I have now modified the cover to dampen the vibration using a rubber door stop with a groove cut into it (technical I know) - and no, it hasn't melted and cooked over the engine.

If I can work out how to import a photo onto this thread, I'll get my camera out when I get home and blind you with this technological breakthrough!

Due to the nature of the 3 cylinder diesel engine - it will always be quite noisy, particularly when cold.

Regards,

Eeeboy.

it's a 2002 model with 48k on the clock. gonna have the service manager at my work have a look at it on monday.

Here we go!

A couple of photos to show this remarkable invention that stoppped my engine rattling around 1700 - 2000 rpm.

Nip down your local DIY store and get a couple of door bumpers; cut a groove in them and shove them under the cover which is in closest contact to the engine.

Now I'd best update my CV before applying to Audi for a job as an engineer.

Good luck!

eeeboy said:
Here we go!

A couple of photos to show this remarkable invention that stoppped my engine rattling around 1700 - 2000 rpm.

Nip down your local DIY store and get a couple of door bumpers; cut a groove in them and shove them under the cover which is in closest contact to the engine.

Good luck!
Well done eeeboy how long did it take you to figure that was
where the noise was coming from i have visions of you driving
up and down the old portsmouth road with the bonnet off
trying to trace if the mod is any better ...LOL !!!!

Hi A2 Sat. Mine had a rattling from the front end when I first got it. Seemed to be coming from in front of the instrument binnacle. Drove me nuts for a few weeks then, one day, I slammed the driver's door and heard the noise from outside. On closer inspection, I noticed that bonnet had a 2-3mm of vertical play on the offside where it met the wing at the base of the windscreen. On removing the bonnet, I couldn't see any way of adjusting the bracket the bonnet slides into so I just wrapped a cable tie around the section the arm on the bonnet slides under and, hey presto, no more rattle. Unlikely to be the same as your problem, but you never know - have you tried listening from outside the car?

Simpler mod that costs zero.

eeeboy said:
Here we go!

Good luck!
Remove cover,and enlarge depth of cover with a file to give clearance between cover and pipe support..

Vibrating noise cured by Audi Dealers!!

I had the very same noise, and tried the modification tried in this thread but it didn't cure it. :eek: :eek:

So whilst the car was at the stealers having the ARBs' / Bushes changed under warranty i mentioned it (warranty expired 12/12/06)

They mentioned something about a Technical Bulletin relating to fuel pipes on the A2; so they went ahead and ordered the parts.

They fitted new fuel pipes, along with extra "dampers" and the vibration has gone :D :D

Thankyou Taunton Audi (There are some decent dealer service depts!)

anti roll bar bushes

like he previous poster my warranty is up in april and i would like to know how exactly to spot faulty anti roll bar bushes. I dont appear to have much in the way of noise going over bumps etc, sometimes i think it pulls to the left hand side even though tyre pressure is aame across the front end. Advice gratefully accepted.
Paul

dubbsy said:
Hi A2 Sat. Mine had a rattling from the front end when I first got it. Seemed to be coming from in front of the instrument binnacle. Drove me nuts for a few weeks then, one day, I slammed the driver's door and heard the noise from outside. On closer inspection, I noticed that bonnet had a 2-3mm of vertical play on the offside where it met the wing at the base of the windscreen. On removing the bonnet, I couldn't see any way of adjusting the bracket the bonnet slides into so I just wrapped a cable tie around the section the arm on the bonnet slides under and, hey presto, no more rattle. Unlikely to be the same as your problem, but you never know - have you tried listening from outside the car?

Hey Dubbsy, that sounds exactly like what I have! A rattle that seems to come from in front of the instrument binnacle! The noise can be heard when the car runs over certain kind of bumps. I'll give mine a check, cheers for the tip! It had been driving me nuts for a long time to the point I'm used to it now!

eeeboy said:

Good luck!
Yeah, eeeboy, and don't forget to chuck away your tool box, as an Audi engineer, you won't be needing that anymore...........

Back