Official A2 DVLA Registration Data

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
I've obtained from the DVLA a database of summary information on all the A2s ever registered in the UK and those still registered in Sept. 05. (I don't know the month when A2s stopped being sold, but I presume they either stopped then or that's the latest data DVLA could provide).

Over the next week I'm hoping to number crunch this data and provide some graphs, probably as a PDF report.

The data I have is as follows:

Model, Local Authority, Colour, Year of first registration, Imported?, Exported?, Engine Capacity and for each combination of these the Vehicles Nos.. I have this data in 2 sets: "Year First Registered" and as at "Sept 05"

Obvious analysis are nos. by model, by colour, by engine size, by year of registration, by location. Suggestions for other analysis (i.e. combinations) welcome but no promises :)

I'll expect folks will want to see numbers by traditional county names. Unfortunately the data I have is by Local Authority (LA). Now, there are 35 counties and 100 Unitary Authorities (UA) in the data. I'm searching for a table to convert LAs and UAs to traditional counties. Otherwise I shall be calling for a volunteer!

Unfortunately over 30% of the records have a LA listed as "Unknown". I asked the DVLA why this is so. They told me that this is due to invalid post codes in the database. I find that unbelievable but that's what they said.

Strangely there are over 2,000 vehicles with an engine capacity of 1422. Is that correct? Most are in 2001 to 2003 but some in 2004 and 2005.

Just to wet the appetite :) there have been 19,010 A2s register and as at Sept 05 there were still 18,360 left. So, 650 have either been written-off or exported less any imports.

Alan, that is some great info. Could you let me know how you were able to get that info? I run another car club and have always wanted to get this kind of info. I'm assuming you have to pay?
Cheers
Gavin

FANTASTIC!!!! I have always yearned for this sort of info!!! Rally looking forward to see the stats!!! Thanks for doing it!

Malcolm, the 3 main engine sizes from the data are:
1422 2173
1598 2580
1390 13545
Plus there are 62 vehicles with obviously erroneous data.

I've just check against a web page I down loaded some time ago, and yes it agrees with you that the the 1422 is the 1.4 TDI - I should know, I have one :)
But I thought that 2173 was a very low no. of 1.4 TDI vehicles. I got the impression from this forum that many owners had this model. Plus also, I read that 50% of new UK cars are desiel.

Was just wondering if the engine size had anything to do with the 75bhp/90bhp derivatives of the 1.4tdi A2 as this would account why there are
more of the 1390cc version on the road and why it is so difficult to get hold of the 90bhp version....
Just Guessing !!!!

Last edited:
Right, I got off my backside and went out into the cold and got the handbook ;-)

It only gives kw but according to the web, 1 hp (UK) = 0.7457 kilowatt ( kW ) rpm. So I've put the bhp in [] and added +1 to "round" up.

55kw [ 75] 4-cyl petrol: 1390
81kw [110] 4-cyl petrol: 1598
45kW [ 60] 3-cyl diesel: 1191
55kw [ 75] 3-cyl diesel: 1422
66kw [ 90] 3-cyl diesel: 1422

So, both the 75 & 90 bhp are 1422 ! And wow, I thought all the A2s were 3 cyl.!

According to the data there are 3 of the 1191 in the UK one of which is marked as imported - the other 2 *may* be erroneous data when 1st registered - or perhaps imported as new by a dealer.

wooly A2 said:
..... and why it is so difficult to get hole of the 90bhp version.... Just Guessing !!!!

Why 90bhp TDI are so scarce (I gave up looking) is that there are only 923 of them (or 1666 if one presumes the TDI Sport are also 90 bhp): [edit:] Don't know why there appears to be no TDI 90 bhp SEs.

A2 2129
A2 FSI 249
A2 FSI SE 1375
A2 FSI SPORT 965
A2 SE 4812
A2 SPECIAL EDITION 303
A2 SPORT 485
A2 TDI 1275
A2 TDI 90BHP 923
A2 TDI SE 4463
A2 TDI SPECIAL EDITION 638
A2 TDI SPORT 743
Grand Total 18360

Sorry, can't format the data as the forum s/w strips all the spaces!

Last edited:
Hmm, data quality is begining to worry me:

A2 TDI 90BHP
1390 877 <there shouldn't be any TDIs at 1390*
1422 46
Total 923

A2 TDI SPORT
1390 620 <there shouldn't be any TDIs at 1390*
1422 122
Total 743

* unless specs changed over the years

In fact all the TDI models show a mix of 1390 and 1422 engine sizes.

<i>I get the impression that the data is pretty inaccurate! What a wonderful system....</i>

So much for Blair's e-enabling government! Seems like the dealers are all submitting paper forms in attrocious handwriting and full of errors that get blindly rekeyed.

Some years ago I got stopped late at night by the police: "Nothing to worry about Sir. There's been a lot of burglaries in the area recently. Just want to check that who you are and that this car is actually yours." Well, with data like this I'm surprised I didn't spend the night in a cell trying to prove my innocence against the official data: "The computer says Micky Mouse owns this car which should be a Reliant, so you must have stolen it and rebuilt it as an A2. You're nicked!"

I think the answer to the 1390 TDi issue is ignorant/careless dealers when originally completing the V55. They probably didn't realise there were two different 1.4 engine sizes!

Alan. My log book was registered as a 1390 but the manual details said otherwise so I got the DVLA to change it,which they did. My A2 is the 1.4tdi se .Regards, Malcolm.

TDI
Sport
5Sp
Full colour code : 4Z4ZYK
Model code : 8Z0B54
Cubic capacity : 1390
Power rating BHP : 90
Fuel type : Diesel
Transmission type : Manual
No. of gears : 5
No. of Cylinders : 4
Specification : SPORT
Air Conditioning : N

The above is the data held by Audi UK on my car! Never mind the 1390cc issue (as opposed to the 1422cc), they've got me down as driving a 4 cylinder diesel! (oh and the part about air con is wrong, unless climate control is classed differently).

Makes me wonder what they're playing at and after the long complaint letter they recieved this morning, I'm absolutley fuming with them (see my recent post regarding the power steering faults).

Malcolm, I've also a 1.4 TDi SE 75 BPH (55KW). I've just checked my V5 and like yours was, it says 1390 and not 1422. Don't think I can be bothered to tell the DVLA.

Back