Radio Removal encore...

Evil J

concert.jpg

Okay I am trying to fit my iPod adapter and have the radio keys from VAG.
Question is the Concert comes out, but only as far as the pic above. It feels like it is being held back by the loom, there is some lateral movement but just won't come any further.
I'm afraid to really heave on it, any suggestions?
I have read the great pdf guide but this shows a lot of slack on the Concert pic. The screws either side don't seem to loosen anything either and in great Audi style I can't find another screw anywhere to release the fascia.
Feeling frustrated as need to get it in for Friday's surfing trip to Kernow...

Any ideas?
Cheers
Gavin

Just give it a wiggle and a bit of friendly persuasion - it'll come out.

There is nothing else holding the unit in place, apart from the mass of cables and a bundle of them may have got snagged.

If all else fails, PM me and I'll tell you how to get your hand up the back to sort things out.

Okey dokey liberal application of 'elbow grease' will be applied in the am...
Watch this space... thanks!

The screws you show actually allow for the removal of the air vents and cupholder unit, but doing this doesn't reveal any extra space to get to the loom.

The easiest way (and I might as well post it here, for the benefit of all) and one which you'll probably have to do anyway to route the cable for the iPod cradle, is to remove the stowage shelf.

To do this, first of all pop out the ashtray to it's extended position and then remove the shelf forwards. The Audi manual says to put both hands inside and press up and down simultaneously (ie wedge your hands in there) and pull forwards.

If you've never had it out before, it's incredibly tight, but it will come, again possibly with a bit of persuasion. You can then run the cradle cable out to the top left corner - I'll post some photos of mine later on.

Whilst the tray is out though, you can get your hand up the back of the climate panel to the audio loom to aid the removal of your headunit. It makes you realise what a bad time gynacologists have, but it is do-able!

Here you go, pix of my Dension fitting, showing the cradle cable routing and the stowage shelf removed.

Hope they're of some use to you.

The last photo hasn't come out too well, but the shiny bit is the retaining clip (there's one on the other side as well) for the stowage shelf - you wouldn't think that 2 clips could hold something so tightly!

Last edited:
Excellent Skip thanks...
I was wondering about the stowage hole as a possible cable outlet, I will investigate drilling a hole in it for cable outlet, would be quite 'stealthy' in there I recon.

I'll report back later, hopefully with some pics too!

Thanks guys...

Now where did i put the KY and my latex gloves. :)

ipod.jpg

Done!

Thanks for the tips, radio came out fine with a big tug.
I removed the cubby hole and cut a hole for the mini jack lead and having plugged in the adapter it all works a treat.
I got this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUX-INPUT-ADAPTOR-FOR-AUDI-STEREOS-iPOD-MP3-DVD_W0QQitemZ5875149796QQcategoryZ3293QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Just plugs in and you plug your ipod into the mini jack.
Doesn't do any controlling as such but simple cheap solution.
Make sure you have no CD in player as you need to choose the CD input to select the ipod.
Perfect
Gavin

Back