Boot Light Not Working

spike

The boot light on my 2001 TDi had not been working for some time. The switch which is integral with the lock mechanism also controls the alarm and 'door not shut' warning on the instrument display. Although the alarm seems to activate correctly, the most annoying problem is when the tailgate is opened first, without opening one of the other doors, the alarm sounds after 20 seconds or so.
To access the lock mechanism I removed the tailgate trim panel, only to find the microswitch appears to be burried inside the lock body with no way of getting at the contacts for adjustment. Admitting defeat, I gave the lock a good spray with teflon lube (GT 85) and manually operated the latch a few times to work-in the lubricant, using the tailgate emergancy release pull to open the latch each time.(Check your drivers manual - I didn't know about it either) Amazingly the boot light etc now works perfectly.

Wooly has since tried the lube fix without dismantling anything - all you need is a spray can with a thin extension tube. Direct the spray up into the lock mechanism of the open tailgate and have a cloth ready to catch the excess lube.

Cheers Spike

Great tip spike at long last my boot light now works and is still
working after 4 days thats saved me a trip to the Stealers .....

Many Thanks

We've had the non-functioning boot light for ages. Our tame mechanic had the boot trim off last time the car was in (Jan?) and sprayed the mechanism etc. The light worked for about a week before it went again!

Chris the spanner reckoned that if it went again, replacement of the whole mechanism was the only answer as the microswitch is buried as you say...

I Used a spray that we use at work for door locks
it leaves a teflon coating rather than wd40 which dry's out
hopefully "touchwood"
after 5 days still seems to be working will keep you posted ...

Back