THe New Tank Is Back (For Good?)

Skipton01

Admin Team
Well, after the 3rd attempt at fixing the power steering on the New Tank, Smith Knight Fay seem to have finally cracked it.

Apparently, water had gathered on the multi-pin connector on the steering control module and had corroded the contacts inside, causing the intermittent fault! They have now replaced both the controller and the plug, carried out a full 4-wheel track and alignment and checked over the rest of the faults.

Although they can't assure me that the problem won't re-occur, I am very glad to have the little fella back again and don't want to have to part, especially for the likes of an A3!

Next step is to pressure Audi UK into the appropriate compensation for my wasted time and the incompetancy shown in handling this case (and it'll also pay towards the 4 new wheels I apparently need, as the workshop report stated all 4 were buckled!).

So, next step is the retro-fitting of RNS-E, auto-dipping rear-view mirror and chrome mirror caps! Should keep me occupied for a while.

Hi Skipton
Glad to hear your car is back and it's staying in the family for a while longer.The RNS-E retrofit sounds interesting - have you got the double din dash already?
Not sure if you caught this last time but the attached link gives some useful info on RNS-E conversions
http://www.nsxjr.com/downloads.html

Cheers Spike

Cheers Spike,

No, I've got the single DIN slot in the Tank (that'd be too easy otherwise!).

Thanks for the info though - I'll let y'all know how I get on.

Excellent news.. :)

Welcome to the buckled wheel club. It turns out I now have 3.5 buckled wheels (one to a lesser extent). Surely - as the wheels are so soft this should be a warranty issue!? It seems insane...

..Not that I'm giving up on the council for the cost of 2 of them..

audi have been using this ultra soft compound since the early RS4 days (B5) and there have been soo many problems its untrue. The shame of it is if you owned an RS4 you could get audi to replace them all the time, unlimited amounts of new wheels (they wrote a letter to all RS4 owners stating so, i've seen the letter)

however you and i live in the world of A2 not RS4 so audi will just ignore your demands for replacement wheels unless your in warranty and very persuasive....

its very poor that the replicas are actually better quality than the originals dont you think....

Interesting, I'm in warranty, but not sure how persuasive I could be.. Short of standing in the showroom with a sign stating my desire for replacement wheels... :rolleyes:

goto tyresmoke.net ask there about the RS4 compounds and the problems, someone posted the letter on there a while back and if you can get a copy of that and explain to the stealer that they alloys you have suffer the same problem then you have a chance. you will have to make a very big song and dance about it though and i doubt they'll be the best place to get your audi serviced ever again!

by the way mine are replica's not that you would know the difference. at least i think they are as the chap i bought the car off said he had to have them replaced due to the buckling .... terrible really

a2_16_fsi_sport_xiv.jpg

a2_16_fsi_sport_xii.jpg

a2_16_fsi_sport_xiii.jpg

a2_16_fsi_sport_xi.jpg

Car looks nice - I'd have liked a darker colour, but mine came along in silver at the right price :)

Your wheels (well, centre caps) look like replicas as the centre caps have a shiny silver ring, rather than the duller, brushed effect circle - if you get what i'm on about!!

Not a member on tyresmoke - spend far too much time on scn to get involved with too many forums!!

Anyhow, I feel we may have hijacked this thread... :p

stand alone complex said:
The shame of it is if you owned an RS4 you could get audi to replace them all the time, unlimited amounts of new wheels (they wrote a letter to all RS4 owners stating so, i've seen the letter)

Yep, it's all true. I've found it rather a good scheme for getting a nice new set of alloys every now and then for the RS4 (I've had quite a few wheels under warranty).

stand alone complex said:
however you and i live in the world of A2 not RS4 so audi will just ignore your demands for replacement wheels unless your in warranty and very persuasive....
Agreed, I think you'll be lucky to get anything. The original RS4 lifetime replacement "goodwill" gesture only happened as a result of some pretty assertive action by a large-ish group of owners. I believe that legal action was instigated or at least credibly threatened.

By the way on the RS4 the dealers are now much more reluctant than in the past to change the wheels under warranty. I suspect that "lifetime replacement" will pretty soon mean "until the cars are older and owned by customers we don't give a stuff about".

Cheers, Richard.

Back