Tyre Comparison

Gexx

Hi ,

As I've just fitted a new set of 205/40 r17 's to my sport, I thought I'd start a tyre comparison thread.

I bought the car on Pirelli PZERO NERO's which wore down from 5mm to zip over 17,000 miles. They were pretty stable wet or dry, but the road noise was quite high, and any bumps were picked up and transmitted into the car.

I've just fitted Michelin Pilot Sports. These are more expensive than the Pirellis but I am already noticing a vast difference. There is far less road noise, bumps are no longer as harsh, and cornering the car feels more planted.

Haven't gone through any rain yet - but will update when I have!

In my personal view the Pirellis score a 7/10 and the Pilots (so far) 9/10.

I've just fitted my new alloys and on them i got a set of budget tyres (COOPER SPORTS) which are the same company as avon and have the same tread as falkens and i think these are great and just as good if not better than the original pirellis.

Good idea with the thread

can i just make a suggestion?

if people include the temp and tread wear rating on the side of the tyre, you will prob see a vast difference in the tyres.

If i remember correctly the P Nero Zero have about half the tread wear rating as a Falken Ze512 even though they are both 205/40 R17. Needless to say the Falkens Lasted longer but didn't provide the level of "direction changing" grip.

I also believe that P Nero Zero's are no longer available, although there will be some stocks left in the UK. (acc to Audi Dealer)

I will soon need some, so i think i might try the Yokohama Parada tyre, i will post back what they are like

Emm

I have replaced my Dunlop SP9000 with Bridgestone RE040's 205/45/17's, fuel comsumption increased (I allowed for the increased rolling diameter) but I think that coincided with the drop in temprature, road noise decreased and the ride comfort improved, all I can hear at speed is wind noise which seems worse now the tyres are silent, grip seems as good in the dry and better in the wet they cost £88 each fitted.

Bought 4 new tyres, 205/40/17 Toyo Proxes T1S From Wheelbase.
i've been having trouble with tyres since i bought the car, as you can see from photo. i needed a tyre that could be changed side to side hence the Toyo's, not the biggest rim protector but i should get more life out of these.

much more grip, wet weather grip especially.

Softer and quieter ride (at present) but i think this is due to tread depth and not running on the tread wear indicators

treadwear rating: 280
Traction: AA
Temp: A
£200 for 4!!!!!!

Conti Premiums now in 185 due to Nissan Micra

I notice Continantal now do their brilliant Premium Contact in 185x50-16" . I don't know if this is because the Nissan Micra Sport uses them but I have used on another car for years and really good. Anyone got on an A2?

good idea - currently running nero zero's 205/40/17 with 26k on the clock - probably have 5k left on these before replacing all 4 tyres. interested to know which ones to select on 205/45/17

thanks - keep up the good posts:)

ps also had replaced drivers door pins under warranty - worcester audi provided excellent service

Richard Horton said:
good idea - currently running nero zero's 205/40/17 with 26k on the clock - probably have 5k left on these before replacing all 4 tyres. interested to know which ones to select on 205/45/17

thanks - keep up the good posts:)

ps also had replaced drivers door pins under warranty - worcester audi provided excellent service

My bridgestone RE040's are good, now weather has (had) warmed up mpg seemed to be about the same

Continental Premium Contacts

Hi Poppy1

I've had Continental Premium Contact on my A2 since January and they've covered 6000 miles and seem fine, though they do seem to be wearing quite quickly, currently at 4mm of tread measured from the top of the wear bumps on the fronts. I'm trying different tyres to try and reduce the tyre wear on the inner rim due to the extreme camber offset.:mad: Had a full wheel alignment and is well within allowed tollerances. Me thinks the camber offset could be to reduce the roll of the car when swerving. Remember the Merc A class had a similar problem which caused the car to roll over when it swerved violently to either the left or right, enough said.;)

For grip, noise and wear ratings on many tyre makes and sizes, check out the following web site. Enter the required size then select a tyre from the list. In most cases there will a tyre test summary available in english
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html

Cheers Spike

I've had all sorts of tyres from doing track days with both small cars such as Lotus to heavy M5 beasts.

Must say the Michelin PS2 is the one everybody swears by. Probably one of the best tyres out there for all round grip in dry and wet. Also they are one of the lightest tyres which helps with the unsprung weight. To copy a beer ad, reassuringly expensive!

Well I need to replace the tyres now. I've found the Pilots excellent. Now I come to change they are £126 per tyre! Ouch.

People seem to be recommending Falken - and at around £50-60 the price is certainly better.

The garage has the 912's which are the replacement to the 512's. Any ideas the difference between these and the 451's as applied to the A2?

Well, having run Nexens for a while, I can recommend them whole-heartedly. I have N3000s on the rear (hardly touched after 10k!) and have just had N6000s fitted to the fronts (Driveforward can confirm that I was running slicks! - used to be Avon ZZ3).

Nankang NS2s are also good and cheap, as are Federal SS595s.

The major manufacturers have to pay for their advertising, so their costs are substantially higher.

In actual driving conditions, the budget brands are 90% (sometimes 100%) of the big brands, but at 50% of the price.

Cheers,

Mike

I will be fitting Michelins 205-40R17 soon as my Toyo's are nearly out. Can't complain with the Toyo's lasting 19,000 miles. As you say Michelins are expensive but without doubt the best you can buy.

But All the tyres makes are good these days Falkens, Nexens etc. But for levels of grip in all conditions and something that will last longer than any other tyres on the market its got to be michelin really. Other offer the same levels of grip but without the longevity. So its either £300 for toyos for 19,000 miles or £500 for Michelins and last 30,000 plus?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back