6CD with Standard Chorus

Ringo

Hi,

I am hoping for a bit of advice............. Is it possible/easy to retro fit the Audi 6CD bootchanger with the standard Chous head unit.

Car is a 2005 A2 TDI special Edition.

The supplying dealer told us it was prohibitively expensive - are they right?

Cheers

Well, kind of;

You'll need a changer (obviously) and an interface lead and an entirely new off-side boot trim panel, which houses the changer (it sits above the wheel arch).

It's this last bit, plus labour that will push costs up.

A far better bet and one that is getting more and more popular, is to add an iPod (or similar) via a small interface lead. This then acts as your cd changer, but instead of 6-10 discs holding 8-14 hours of music, you'll have thousands of songs lasting literally weeks at your fingertips.

A ball-park cost for the former is about £600 + labour (about 3 hours if Audi do it at £88 per hour!) and the costs for the latter are £100 + labour (about 1 hour) + cost of player (if you don't have one already).

Hope this helps,

Mike

Hi Ringo, welcome to the A2oc
As Mike says, installation of the factory spec boot mounted CD changer is very expensive even if you do the work yourself. The attached fitting guide will give you some indication of the complexity of the job.
If you'r not keen on the i.Pod option and still want a changer, other Club members have installed a more compact Sony CD changer in the glove box. Do a search of the archives for more details

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3270

Cheers Spike

definite would not spend money on existing changer. It doesn't even read CDRW and I had a couple of Copy Protected CDs which it wouldn't play!

Back