Timing Belt quote: Too good to be true?

bogmanfan

Hi, just got a quote here in Dublin for a timing belt and water pump change. Got the quote from a mechanic my parents and sister have used regularly, with no complaints. Anyway, using genuine audi parts, the quote was 280 euros - that's around £190. Judging by what others have written here in the past, this seems unbelievably cheap. So, is it too good to be true, or is it really a simple job? Mechanic said he's never done an A2 before, but he took off the bonnet, had a look around and seemed happy with the lay of the land. Any thoughts?

hi there bogman

If my memory serves, that's about what I paid at Audi but without the water pump. As mine is now out of warranty I will shop around when my next belt is due in 12,000 miles. (120,000 miles).
Casting my mind back I think I had some rollers & tensioner changed also? someone else may have some input??
I think the mechanicals of the A2 seem pretty bulletproof, do you need a water pump?

hope this helps.

bba

Always worth changing ancillaries like water pumps and tensioner pulleys as the bulk of a cambelt change is labour, all the same work is needed to change the pump etc so really to not change is a no brainer!

Got the Audi Dealer letter about timing belt needing to be changed after 4 years and not 60,000 miles for a 2001 A2 TDI with 55,000. Dealer in another town quoted £408 all in and a local VW repair/servicing £250+VAT so he got job and found belt did have fine cracks and new one looked to have fabric reinforcement. IN that days post was another Dealer letter about the +3 club and quoting £275 or £285 for an A4 timing belt. Have then done Paignton and back with 4 adults c560 miles. Wish engine designers had stuck to chains.
:confused:

Cam belt change

I have just been quoted £435 for a routine change of the cam belt, seems a lot for a quoted 2.6 hours work. I think I'll try the VW main agent. Anyone else think that's a lot of loot?

I've been quoted £475 this weekend for a cambelt change by a main dealer. Had the one on the A4 TDI changed earlier this year by a small village general garage for £200, including parts.

Cam belt change

Just had a quote from local Audi...."£435 and take it somewhere else for MOT". So I went round to VW main agents "£315, and we'll do the MOT at the same time and get you a taxi home, and back to pick up the car at no charge for the taxi".
Guess who gets the job, answers on a £5 note please,

Bogman, I have been told that there are some Irish dealers who are not official franchised Audi dealers but they would make you believe they are.

One in question is MSL (Ballsbridge Motors and Turners Cross in Cork).

They sell new Audis and service them but do not have proper franchises.

I would advise you to go with an independent mechanic instead of paying Audi prices to non Audi garages.

Back