Jacking points

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
I was looking at the photos just posted on the "Milltek exhaust - Anybody’s got experience?" thread and I'm intrigued by the way the A2 is jacked up in those photos:
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=439&d=1162258763
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=440&d=1162258775

There seems to be a socket on the A2 into which an attachment on the jack is inserted into.

It's dark now, so I'm not inclined to be crawling under my A2, but with any car I've had I've been concerned with the way garages and tyre outfits jack up cars. I've had a floor pan distorted on one ocassion and I've had underbody protection sealants and paint removed on others.

I did ask the Audi stealer but reception just said any garage or tyre dealer would know what they are doing and I shouldn't worry myself with such [trivial] matters - all a bit condesending.

So, where should an A2 be jacked up (other than the consumer jacking points to be used with the supplied jack)? Pictures would be good to have.

P.S. talking about consumer jacking points. I jacked up my A2 the other week to clean the wheels for the Castle Coombe meeting. I found one of the jacking tubes blocked with a hard putty like substance. Took quite some minutes to get it out. Not the sort of thing to be doing on the hardshoulder on a wet dark winter's night. So check your sockets now! It will only take few minutes and be sure to shine a torch into the socket to check it is completely empty.

The front jacking points are flat parts behind the sockets that you can use to lift the vehicle. There is a rubber seal in the middle of the flat area. Quite hard to position the jack correctly though. The rear positions consists of if I remember correctly three parts sticking out downwards that you can position the jack against. I protect the car from damage by putting a rubber pad between the jack and the car when I use my garage jack. There might also be other positions that can be used to jack the car up but I only use the ones described above.

Hi Alan
I use the same jacking points as described by Xiter. To make accurate positioning of the trolley jack a little easier I turned up a shouldered spacer which locates in the hole normally covered by the rubber seal and is a neat fit in the cupped end of my jack.
I've had similar problems with tyre fitters over the years and now just take the wheels in when new tyres are required (I have a spare set of alloys)

Cheers Spike

Many thanks Xiter and Spike. I shall crawl underneath tomorrow and have a look! I guess these points may be where the A2 is put on a frame as it moves down the production line.

The MOT-station lifted the rear of my car directly under the springs, which seemed to work well.

As a matter of fact, when I change to winter tires next time I will use those points to lift the vehicle.

Hi Alan
I use the same jacking points as described by Xiter. To make accurate positioning of the trolley jack a little easier I turned up a shouldered spacer which locates in the hole normally covered by the rubber seal and is a neat fit in the cupped end of my jack.
I've had similar problems with tyre fitters over the years and now just take the wheels in when new tyres are required (I have a spare set of alloys)

Cheers Spike
Do you mean you remove the rubber seals and fit your turned spacer in the hole? What material did you make your spacer out of?

Where to put axle stands

If a car is being jacked up using the jacking points inboard of the circular hole jacking points with a trolley jack and a suitable protective pad in the jack cup, where is one supposed to put axle stands if needed? Also, I've noticed big cast ally circles with bushes in (engine & gearbox mounting I think) can I use a jacking beam sitting on a trolley jack slid in from the front on these big alloy circles/bush mountings? Finally, does anyone known if any sort of adaptor has been made to drop into a trolley jack in place of the cup that would present a tube to the sill mounted jacking point? It would effectivly look like an upside down L. This would enable the circular sill jacking points to be used with a trolley jack leaving the inboard jacking points free to take axle stands. Any thoughts?

If you use a trolley jack on the black circular points, you can use axle stands with another set of circular jacking points, just inside of the ones you just used. Jack the car up and get under it, you'll see the extra points. At least in the front.

Thread bump, has anyone got the original post attachments?

We've lost a section of images pre 2009 after a software migration. It's not a simple task to sort this and our webmaster Ben hadn't had the capacity to address it. Sorry

Back