In search of comfort - Koni FSD

Again good news from the German FSD shock "front":

Not only Weitec sport springs but also the ABT sport springs do harmonise very well with the FSDs. That particular A2 driver uses 7x17 205/40 sport wheels and seems to be very pleased with the final results concerning damping performance and comfort increase.

Koni FSDs Fitted Today

My A2 failed its MOT thanks to the nearside front shock absorber. Same corner that had a broken spring and drop link replaced in the past. Took the advice offered on this site and replaced all the shocks with Koni FSD.

Initial thoughts are that the car appears to sit higher and is better over the bumps. The comfort with standard 16" wheels seems firm but fine.

I will post again once I have had the car MOT'd tomorrow and I have driven the car over familiar roads.

John.

For anyone reading this thread considering the Koni FSDs, I've just been able to try out GrayB's car with these {and a very big thank you indeed for that, Gray}.

Bottom line is, I'm definitely going to be putting these on my A2.

My 2c worth is that there's a huge but quite subtle improvement in ride quality. The car still feels precise and sharp, and on smooth roads it doesn't feel very different.

It's only when you come across bigger bumps that you feel the difference. Compared with my petrol 1.4 which crashes into potholes, GrayB's 75bhp diesel flows much better. It's much more comfortable, but it's also more satisfying to drive - it doesn't have that feeling of having lost momentum falling into the holes.

I hope that's helpful to anyone else thinking about taknig the plunge. I've never made any mods to any of my cars before, I've always left them as they came off the line, and I was a bit dubious about throwing away the factory's best effort in favour of something which almost certainly has much less development budget and resource behind it. But there's no doubt in my mind about the practice. Konis are the way to go, at least for British road conditions. Thanks again, GrayB.

Koni FSD and 16" SE Wheels

Good news. My A2 passed the MOT test. Took it for a drive afterwards to see how the Koni shock absorbers coped with bumps that I knew caused problems with the standard Audi ones. WOW! In the six years that I have owned my A2 1.4 TDI SE it has never liked bumps. There was always a horrible metal on metal thump / crashing sound and if the CD was playing it would skip. My A2 now takes bumps in its stride. The CD doesn't miss a beat. The ride is firm / stiff, a bit like an A6, but not quite as bad. I'm sure 15" wheels would provide a little more comfort, but I am happy enough to stick with my 16" wheels.

A big thank you to Humps and Schnelletrecker.:)

John.

Fsd

Well I've taken the plunge....the 15" inch wheels and 195/55 15 tyres were fitted last Friday and the Koni FSD's will be done by the Stealth boys on the 13th....will advise as to the benefits then!

Good news. My A2 passed the MOT test. Took it for a drive afterwards to see how the Koni shock absorbers coped with bumps that I knew caused problems with the standard Audi ones. WOW! In the six years that I have owned my A2 1.4 TDI SE it has never liked bumps. There was always a horrible metal on metal thump / crashing sound and if the CD was playing it would skip. My A2 now takes bumps in its stride. The CD doesn't miss a beat. The ride is firm / stiff, a bit like an A6, but not quite as bad. I'm sure 15" wheels would provide a little more comfort, but I am happy enough to stick with my 16" wheels.

A big thank you to Humps and Schnelletrecker.:)

John.

I'm glad you guys are having more comfort with the FSDs. The thank you really goes to Schnelletrecker for his inspiring initial post. The FSD is still a sports oriented product so the ride is as you said still firm. What I like is the new found handling during bumpy corners and bends. Under breaking is also a big improvement! if you haven't noticed yet, try a high speed emergency break (at a safe stretch of road). The immediate difference is the lack of nose dive and not so much lift on the tail, hence more sure footed under breaking.

Koni FSD's and Weitec 30/30 springs now fitted!,and what a difference they make.They have totally transformed the handling and ride quality of my A2.I can't believe that they could make such difference, but they most certainly have done.Anyone of you A2 owners out there thinking of having this combination fitted,but are a bit unsure,all i can say to you is do not hessitate and take the plunge; you will not be dissapointed.
As for the ride height they only seem to make the car sit slightly lower,not the full 30mm drop you would expect from the springs.The other thing that i noticed is that when you get into the car,on the standard SE set up you would feel the suspension drop down as you sat down but with the new set up the suspension doesn't seem to move at all.The car corners a lot flatter with much less roll,bumps and pot holes no longer loosen your fillings! and you feel as though you have just had your braking system upgraded when you jam on the anchors as there is hardly any dipping of the front end and the braking feels much stronger and controlled.
After owning my A2 for 6 and a half years it now feels just right.The only negative is, i wish i had done this years ago and not put up with the standard crappy suspension for all these years.
Hope this helps any of you who are contenplating having this done or any one wanting to upgrade there braking then i am sure this would make more difference than fitting after market discs an pads.
Brads.

Koni FSD's and Weitec 30/30 springs now fitted!,and what a difference they make.They have totally transformed the handling and ride quality of my A2.I can't believe that they could make such difference, but they most certainly have done.Anyone of you A2 owners out there thinking of having this combination fitted,but are a bit unsure,all i can say to you is do not hessitate and take the plunge; you will not be dissapointed.
As for the ride height they only seem to make the car sit slightly lower,not the full 30mm drop you would expect from the springs.The other thing that i noticed is that when you get into the car,on the standard SE set up you would feel the suspension drop down as you sat down but with the new set up the suspension doesn't seem to move at all.The car corners a lot flatter with much less roll,bumps and pot holes no longer loosen your fillings! and you feel as though you have just had your braking system upgraded when you jam on the anchors as there is hardly any dipping of the front end and the braking feels much stronger and controlled.
After owning my A2 for 6 and a half years it now feels just right.The only negative is, i wish i had done this years ago and not put up with the standard crappy suspension for all these years.
Hope this helps any of you who are contenplating having this done or any one wanting to upgrade there braking then i am sure this would make more difference than fitting after market discs an pads.
Brads.

May I ask how much this costs, fitted?

May I ask how much this costs, fitted?

Hi im333,
the total cost came to £631.09.
The Koni FSD dampers £293+vat
Weitec springs £76.60+vat
Fitting including the 4 wheel alignment £167.50+vat
Had these supplied and fitted by Awesome GTI based in Irlam, Greater Manchester.
Brads.

Back