airbag

pc759

A2OC Donor
i have tt wheel w/o airbag.
can i take airbag from my standard se and put into tt wheel then put cover for tt airbag over top by judicious reassembly? ive just been on german ebay and the airbag covers are readily available so what do you think?
Paulc

Hi pc759
Rebuilding an airbag unit is not something I would recommend. I'm not even sure if the unit from a 4 spoke steering wheel has identical fixings to that of the 3 spoke unit so if you go ahead, proceed with caution - and some bomb disposal gear for protection.
Note there are 2 versions of the original TT steering wheel and the airbag units are not interchangable. Early ones, before 2002 I think, had curved ends on the recess where airbag sits. Later ones had much flatter ends. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers Spike

Just found a couple of pics on e.bay to illustrate the old and new styles. Even though the first one is not a TT wheel, the shape of the airbag unit would be identical.

Last edited:
DON'T DO IT - YOU COULD KILL YOURSELF!

Seriously, I've modded or tinkered with most parts of the A2, including fitting a TT wheel and airbag (new type) but modifying an airbag is not something I would contemplate.

The 4 spoke bag will not fit a 3 spoke wheel, even after modification, so save yourself a lot of aggro and find a proper bag in the first place.

Cheers,

Mike

sorry, i lost the ability to type after i blew up my first airbag. the wheel have is on the left

Back