Engine Fault code 17961

After Spike kindly VAG-COM my car I have an engine fault code of 17961.
I have a 2002 1.4SE petrol.
The o/p of the scan is thus:-

Address 01: Engine
Part No: 036 906 034 EG
Component: MARELLI 4MV G 4030
Coding: 00051
Shop #: WSC 02138
WAUZZZ8Z12N028073 AUZ7Z0A1987103

1 Fault Found:
17961 - Barometric / Manifold Pressure Signals: Implausible Correlation
P1553 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

I contacted Teesside Audi who where nearly obstructive with their answers, they said it wolud be £62 to sacn the car. I said I have done that and this is the fault code, the reply was that my scan can't really be trusted (not their actual words I hasten to add) but you get the idea. Then after asking how to resolve it they said they are not allowed to give out technical data? Fair enough. Stay away from Teesside Audi.

Anyway after my rant, can anyone give me any pointers on how to remedy the problem?? Thanks for any help.

Jimmy

james.farrow said:
After Spike kindly VAG-COM my car I have an engine fault code of 17961.
I have a 2002 1.4SE petrol.
The o/p of the scan is thus:-

Address 01: Engine
Part No: 036 906 034 EG
Component: MARELLI 4MV G 4030
Coding: 00051
Shop #: WSC 02138
WAUZZZ8Z12N028073 AUZ7Z0A1987103

1 Fault Found:
17961 - Barometric / Manifold Pressure Signals: Implausible Correlation
P1553 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

I contacted Teesside Audi who where nearly obstructive with their answers, they said it wolud be £62 to sacn the car. I said I have done that and this is the fault code, the reply was that my scan can't really be trusted (not their actual words I hasten to add) but you get the idea. Then after asking how to resolve it they said they are not allowed to give out technical data? Fair enough. Stay away from Teesside Audi.

Anyway after my rant, can anyone give me any pointers on how to remedy the problem?? Thanks for any help.

Jimmy

hi jimmy
auto data says for 17961/p1553 to look at
intake/exhaust leak
EGR system/evap canister
purg valve
throttle control unit
map sensor /Barometric sensor

cheers
robin

Hi Jimmy
Don't know if you got it but I sent you some info last night - see attached - which compliments Robin's findings. Another clue is that (if i'm reading the table correctly) should the fault also trigger the EPC light, it's likely to be a problem with the active charcoal filter solenoid valve.
Reference the Teesside Audi incident - don't expect anything different from any main dealer. Think of them as profit centres where every minute of a mechanics time has to be charged to a job sheet and you won't go far wrong. Secondly, none of them trust other people's diadnostics - its a bit like going to your doctor with an ECG scan done by one of the neighbours and expecting treatment without further tests.

Don't write Teesside Audi off completely - I personally find the parts guys at this dealership excellent and they give discount to A2oc members.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Back