moo or ooh or EGR valve - costs?

martings

A2OC Donor
Hi all
seen all the comments on this, but not seen any which say how much it costs to rectify, i.e. how much for valve, can it be fitted easily or is it a stealer job etc.
Any help appreciated.
Ta
glen

martings said:
Hi all
seen all the comments on this, but not seen any which say how much it costs to rectify, i.e. how much for valve, can it be fitted easily or is it a stealer job etc.
Any help appreciated.
Ta
glen
The EGR valve can be cleaned out.

Our very own TDIman (Mike) has done this before and is the person to advise you on how to do this.

Cheers,

Mike

thanks mike, are we sure what causes the 'moo-ooh-quack-whatever' though, is it just that it needs cleaning or does it need modifying to lose the noise?

Can tdiman let us all in the secret of removal, clean etc?

ta in anticipation

martings said:
thanks mike, are we sure what causes the 'moo-ooh-quack-whatever' though, is it just that it needs cleaning or does it need modifying to lose the noise?

Can tdiman let us all in the secret of removal, clean etc?

ta in anticipation
The moo noise is caused by some of the vacuum pipes that run along the bulkhead and are adversely affected the blockage in the EGR valve.

Any blockage means that they don't operate at their specified levels and so you get the moo, which is resonance in the pipework, as it tries to achieve the pressure it needs.

As far as cleaning goes, it's over to the other Mike for this, as it's not a job I've done.

As far as a dealer mod goes, I suspect it takes the form of a damping washer or a stand-off piece so that theresonance isn't transmitted through the bulkhead.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
The moo noise is caused by some of the vacuum pipes that run along the bulkhead and are adversely affected the blockage in the EGR valve.

As far as cleaning goes, it's over to the other Mike for this, as it's not a job I've done.

As far as a dealer mod goes, I suspect it takes the form of a damping washer or a stand-off piece so that theresonance isn't transmitted through the bulkhead.

Cheers,

Mike

I'm the other Mike! and I cleaned out my EGR valve all be it on my A4 - sounds a bit like an AA confession that bit!
I would imagine the proceedure is similar after all the A2 engine is but 3/4 of an A4!! strange but true, oh and a bit of balancing went on in the process.

To cure my mooing A2 Audi used what was described as 'bobbins' which I imagine are a rubber mounting spacers; bobbin shaped, whether you can purchase these from your local 'stealer' I wouldn't like to guess, if you want to know how I cleaned out my EGR PM me and I will try to enlighten you, with directions adjusted for an A2

Ciao
Mike

We had the 'bobbins' put on our car - reduced the noise but didn't completely cure it.
Audi dealer said they had never heard of the problem before - despite the fact that VAG have a published fix for it in the EKTA system! There again, our Audi dealer doesn't have much to do with A2's at all....

A2 TDI EGR valve moo

Greeting men :)

I read with interest your quest for info on the mooing dash. My A2 2002 1.4 TDI has covered 79000 miles. Following its cam belt change some time back I followed up by giving it an oil change service. Whilst the bonnet was off I noticed a bracket with pipes and various valves on having been tied up on the nearside under the bulkhead near to the cooling system expansion tank. Thinking the Audi dealer had forgotten to re-attach it I attached it to the two studs on the bulkhead. Only now after replacing the EGR valve ( Awkward job) to no avail did i check around under the bonnet to identify the location of the noise. holding the offending cluster of valves and pipes i realised that it was one of these valves that was vibrating. I unbolted it again and nylon tied the bracket up out of harms way as had my Audi dealer. Hey presto! no mooing noise now from the dashboard on part throttle. Not exactly engineering brilliance but obviously the Audi dealer knew something we dont and took a cheap and easy cure without my prior knowledge :)
I hope this helps you guys fix your problem cheaply as its not always sufficient to replace expensive components to acheive your goal it seems.
Regards Paul.

A2 TDI EGR valve moo

Greeting men :)

I read with interest your quest for info on the mooing dash. My A2 2002 1.4 TDI has covered 79000 miles. Following its cam belt change some time back I followed up by giving it an oil change service. Whilst the bonnet was off I noticed a bracket with pipes and various valves on having been tied up on the nearside under the bulkhead near to the cooling system expansion tank. Thinking the Audi dealer had forgotten to re-attach it I attached it to the two studs on the bulkhead. Only now after replacing the EGR valve ( Awkward job) to no avail did i check around under the bonnet to identify the location of the noise. holding the offending cluster of valves and pipes i realised that it was one of these valves that was vibrating. I unbolted it again and nylon tied the bracket up out of harms way as had my Audi dealer. Hey presto! no mooing noise now from the dashboard on part throttle. Not exactly engineering brilliance but obviously the Audi dealer knew something we dont and took a cheap and easy cure without my prior knowledge :)
I hope this helps you guys fix your problem cheaply as its not always sufficient to replace expensive components to acheive your goal it seems.
Regards Paul.

A2 EGR and spare wheel problem

I had my dealer fix this problem, took a day off the road for this and two other lesser issues and cost £31 labour plus vat. They replaced the actuator mounts which cost 53.55. Total therefore was £84 nett.

Not expensive i think!

Watched soemone on E bay bid a vredenstein collapsable spare wheel up to £186! I am quoted £189 by my dealer, delivered to my door. E bay Auctions are not always the best places to shop!!

Tyneside Audi are very good and easy, helpfull to deal with.

This is the ELSA technical solution

Cheers

Jonathan

Technical solution
Problem description
Croaking noises when accelerating under all load conditions.

Cause
When pressing the accelerator pedal, the air column from the vacuum lines strikes the valve seat of the solenoid valve for exhaust gas recirculation. Vibrations occur due to the air column striking the valve seat, which are transmitted to the body and are perceived as unpleasant croaking noises.

Production solution
No change

Service solution
By using decoupling elements at the bulkhead in the engine compartment, the vibrations can no longer be transmitted to the body.

Assembly instructions:

Release fastening bracket of solenoid valve for exhaust gas recirculation from the bulkhead in the engine compartment. Secure both decoupling elements with part number 8Z0 133 589 at the two studs of the bulkhead and bolt the fastening bracket to the decoupling elements.

Components required:

2 decoupling elements Part No. 8Z0 133 589

Accounting instructions
Service number/ damage code/ manufacturer: 2637 / 020 / ...

Parts information
The decoupling elements are scheduled to be available from week 18 2003.

For the record, I ordered the above part (8Z0 133 589) when I had a service at Stealth in early December. £37 from the stealer parts desk. I discovered you actually need two but I only received / ordered one.

All it is is a one inch spacer (shaped like a cotton thread barrel) that moves the EGR solenoid valve away from the bodywork (Stealth temporarily tied off the other side with a zip tie). However this solution works and I have not had any further mooing. I might buy another spacer in future for tidiness sake.

I am sure someone with some reasonable workshop skills could come up with a cheaper spacer.

Thats not a cure though is it its just moving it away from the body so you can't hear it anymore. If you leave it does it have any adverse effect on the engine etc......??????

Cheers Phil

Back