A cheaper alternative for dealing with the ride on the Sport derivative.

A cheaper alternative for dealing with the ride on the Sport derivative.

It's been suggested to me that the "choppy" ride in the Sport variant (not sure about the others) can be improved drasticly by cutting and inch or so off the bump stops.

I'm not planning to do this myself but am curious if anyone has heard of this or tried it.

Regards

Robbie

Ummm!

Not sure where you got your info but the guy that told me about this is a chassis designer for a well known luxury car maker.

He said he'd done it and it had worked.

ULP is correct! Dont cut the bump stops they will not have ANY affect on the ride. Just because he works for a luxury car company does not mean he's right. Even if hes good at his jobs people make mistakes.

Also have to agree with previous comments.The bump stops are there to prevent damage when the suspension has used up all of its travel,your friend is wrong to suggest removing or cutting down the bump stops.

As pointed out cutting the bump stops won’t improve ride quality in case of Audi’s 20 mm sport supension. In fact full length yellow bump stops are a technical must with these Audi sports springs, because of the applied combination of

- non shortened dampers and
- linear spring characteristic.

In addition these Audi dampers unfortunately offer much too weak compression damping. They neither do harmonise well with Audi sport springs nor would they avoid potential packing of the springs (with shortened bump stops).

Generally without their original length, the bump stops won’t protect the bottom of the damper!

However, shortening these buffers is highly recommended for lowering rates of 40 mm and more, but only if combined with shortened sport dampers (also with so called rebound dampers). Now the shortened damper rod cannot smash the bottom of the damper cartridge.

Coilovers are a different animal though. In contrary to the above mentioned widely used combos consisting of lowering sport springs plus shortened sport dampers coilovers provide identical residual spring travel over a quite large range of lowering. Accordingly often the original bump stop length can still be used with coilovers. For that reason the coilover option can supply more comfort than a regular sport lowering (provided same amount of lowering).

@ RobbieMeister
So if you still want to keep your Audi sport springs, just combine them with the fantastic Koni FSD dampers to remarkably gain ride comfort. Check out the “comfortable” FSD-thread!

Even better would be the combo 30/30 mm WEITEC springs plus FSD. The more progressive spring characteristics of the Weitecs work better than Audi sport suspension springs on a lightweight car like the A2 in terms of comfort. The set of high quality Weitec springs costs only about 110 EUR.

The crapride from your car is a combination of the suspension geometry and the tyre aspect ratio. On yours, the aspect ratio of thetyre is the major culprit. DONT cut the bump stops.

If you want to improve the ride get SE dampers and wheels (particularly the wheels) to increase the aspect ratio of the tyre. IT IS THE ONLY WAY that you will 'improve the ride' of your car..

Not worth it IMHO. Choppy ride is down to the tyres (can't remember the aspect ratio but 40 or 45 sticks somehow).

maersk said:
If you want to improve the ride get SE dampers and wheels (particularly the wheels) to increase the aspect ratio of the tyre. IT IS THE ONLY WAY that you will 'improve the ride' of your car..

Noooo :rolleyes: , please do not recommend buying Audi stock SE dampers!

Both rebound and compression damping force of all Audi dampers is much too weak to harmonise well with the linearly wound stock Audi springs on our light A2s. Harder damping does not necessarily lead to a harder ride quality!

So folks please check out the Koni FSD thread:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4807

There you'll find tips addressing harmonising spring/damper combos and also recommendations on most comfortable wheel/tyre dimensions for A2.

Changed my dampers to Sachs Performance dampers and also changed the wheels to 16" SE wheels.

Much improved - original 'Sport' set up is totally unsuitable for anything other than perfectly flat roads - and how many of those are there in the UK?

Mike

Definitely not the SE dampers (I think they are the same as sports anyway), they are rubbish compared to the FSDs, after months using them.

Cheapest way is to get 15" or 16" (on 195/50 rubber). It will be softer.
Next step would be the FSD. It gives extra smoothness on bumpy british motorways and much imporved control on the rebound and the car feels taun yet more compliant.

Thanks for all your reply's.

As I said, cutting the bump stops is not something I would do. But I am aware that some manufactures use the bump stop as a way of adding some variable progression to the spring rate so it's not all about protecting the dampers etc. But I do take the point that it may be the case on the A2.

The idea that shorter (and presumabley stiffer) springs will improve the ride is something I will have to get my head around.

I have read about the FSD conversion on this site and that looks like a good avenue to explore.

As for changing the 17" wheels, I think I'm too mean.

Cheers

Robbie

Back