Replacing the corners on the front spoiler

I'm after replacing the corners on the front spolier, the lower black plastic moulding, nearest to the ground. It looks like its in 3 sections, the middle part and the 2 outer edges, which i'm after replacing. Has anyone replaced these? easy or hard job?
Any idea of price and avalibilty? Thought I'd make a post before calling around. Any help greatly appreciated. :)Thanks guys and girls, Mark

Unfortunately, the entire front bumper, matt black, coloured bit and all, are one piece.

The only removeable sections are the fog light srrounds (or covers if you don't have fogs) and the slatted grille in between them.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike, really, looking underneath, it looks like they are seperate items? I can see joins and clips and studs? But then I assume you taken the front off of one.

Hi Mike, really, looking underneath, it looks like they are seperate items? I can see joins and clips and studs? But then I assume you taken the front off of one.

There are 2 main parts looking from underneath, the bumper and the undertray. The front bumper is a one part affair though, take a look at this ebay item (the part above is the wing, with a black wheel arch).

Cheers,

Mike

The 1.6FSI has seperate parts.
But these spoilers can be mounted to all 1.4 A2
These are the only seperate parts. The rest is, as Skipton01 said all in one piece

Translation: Bohren= drill here;)
Niete: rivet
Schraube=screw

Last edited:
Have you a part number for these Erstens? I've never seen them on a UK spec car and can find no reference in ETKA.

Cheers,

Mike

Yes, I have. We also have a fitting guide for that. They are standard on all 1.6FSI in Germany (or even on some, maybe depending on model-year!). I don't know anymore. This material is soft so you can hit the kerbstone.
But the car will not really go faster but this upgrade solves a problem with the brakes, if it is wet and you are fast on the freeway. They (the brake discs) will not get this much wet as without these spoilers and so you can brake quicker (the brakes are working faster, when braking).

needed parts: (this is really a cheap upgrade! For less than 15 pounds)
1 x 8Z0 853 887 A Spoiler 3.00 €
1 x 8Z0 853 888 A Spoiler 3.00 €
6 x N 906 513 02 Schraube 9.60 €
4 x 8Z0 807 300 Spreizniet 1.60 €

prices are from 2004 and plus additional tax.
The fitting guide with images, if you are registered(but I uploaded them):
http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=16160
You don't really need all the 6 N906... longer screws, because the old one will fit. So buy not more than 4 of these screws.

But there is one more much more efficient upgrade! Buy the tunnel-cover from the middle of the bottom of the car from the 1.2TDi plus the slim spoiler ! This makes the car faster/more MPG and it leads to more downforce.
For that you need:
8Z0 825 229 (21,30€)
8Z0 825 211 slim Spoiler 15,61€.
Dazu die passenden Spreiznieten (expanding rivet) 8z0 825 267 each: 0,73€ (three needed))
And this upgrade starts here: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?p=650443#post650443

Last edited:
My Sept 2002 1.6 FSi has these. They are mentioned in features on the 1.6 introduction:-

Autocar 10th April 2002: 'and small spoilers sit in the front wheel arches to improve high-speed stability, though this remains an A2 weakness'

4car review: 'and the front wheel arches are very slightly flared for improved aerodynamics'

They also give a handy scraping sound, warning of imminent spoiler/undertray contact!

You are right, they should work together with the larger rear spoiler, the 1.6FSI has! It leads to more downforce in the front.
The 1.4 rear spoiler compared with the higher mounted and with that longer spoiler on the 1.6 FSI (or 1.2 wich is the same as the 1.6):

Great info Erstens and the front arch parts are not listed in the catalogue, although the part numbers are valid. The rest of the under lining is available, but it adds up to just about £100 - a future mod I think.

Cheers,

Mike

Great info Erstens and the front arch parts are not listed in the catalogue, although the part numbers are valid. The rest of the under lining is available, but it adds up to just about £100 - a future mod I think.

Cheers,

Mike
I retrofitted the cheap front spoilers. But I think of also mounting the tunnel cover.
There may be more cover parts but only the middle part ( I listed above) is the important one to also mount the slim spoiler under the car. (no one mounted more than these two parts until today. But maybe someone will try...)
Hmm, £100?

PS: nicer images from the front spoilers: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=16076

By the way, I found the info, that the spoiler under the car (from the 1.2TDI) plus the larger higher mounded rear spoiler will make the car faster about 5 km/h (3Mph). But the 1.2TDI has a lower suspension setting (about 1 Inch (or 3cm))

Last edited:
(no one mounted more than these two parts until today. But maybe someone will try...)
Hmm, £100?

There are about 6 lining panels in total, all in the region of £15, plus screws etc.

I'll start off at the front and work backwards in due course.

Cheers,

Mike

First, only buy the middle part with part number above for a first good result.
Then it is only £15 plus the slim spoiler.

But I would be interested, if you have mounted more panels.

Last edited:
Is the slim spoiler easy to fit? along with the tunnel cover?

Thats cool. i didn't know it anything needed drilling. I have loads of axle stands so i will sort this soon

Back