Change Air con?

thor_wulff

Does anybody know if it is possible to change the manual aircon to an automatic?

I was thinking of buying a used automatic control and do a swop with my manual one - would that work?:confused:

Thanks

As I understand it, there is no such a thing on the A2 as manual air con, unless someone knows better!

thor_wulff if you could give us an indication of what you mean by 'automatic' and 'manual' air conditioning, then you may get a bit more help :)

On my A2 there is an 'Auto' button, that when pressed adjusts the temperature and blower speeds in the vehicle according to the temperature outside. I also haven't heard of a manual air con unit fitted as standard in the A2, so if yours is as you say (manual) then perhaps it was fitted by the previous owner? (guessing you didn't buy as new).

Simple answer: There is no manual aircon in any A2!!!!!!!
If you have three big round buttons: You don't have any aircon!
If it is a digital display: It is the automatic aircon.
Even when pushing Econ and the "Auto" indication is off, the aircon runs still automatically!!!!!!! But the compressor is off so it works with non-cool air but still the vent and were the air comes out is controlled automatically.

I do have three round selector butoons, I also have three push buttons underneath including an "econ" button... I would assume that indicate that I have aircon installed?

i will take a few pics and post tomorrow... by automatic i mean with an "auto" button and digital display with temperature etc.....

Hi thor wulff
As other club members have indicated, you don't have manual aircon on your car. The econ button on the TDi models is used to switch off the supplementary heater which normally comes on automatically in cold weather.
I guess the parts alone needed to retrofit climate control would cost well over £2000 and fitting requires removal of the dashboard and heater ducting, making it a totally uneconomical proposition.

Cheers Spike

Spike is right.
Your have a car without the so called "Advance package" and so it has no aircon. Such cars a badly to sell, because nearto all A2 and as far as I know, all A2 in the UK have aircon. So, who want's to buy that one? ;)
But someone in germany really wanted to retrofit the aircon...

(And your seats are not adjustable in high, so they don't move up and down, or?)

Last edited:
Thanks Guys! - I guess that is the final word... I have a very special A2 Tdi!:rolleyes:

I am going to see a guy who is Breaking an A2 - It might have all the parts that i need...But it sounds like it is going to be "a-hell-of a job" to fit air con?:eek:

Thanks for your help - apriciated

I found what you need for retrofitting aircon:
6Q1 971 566 B - Leitungssatz für Lüftungskasten - 65,10€
8Z0 820 103 B - Verdampfer - 227€
6Q1 907 521 - Gebläseregler - 55,20€
8Z1 819 453 A - Stellmotor Umluftregelklappe - 72,80€
8Z0 819 453 C - Stellmotor Zentralklappe - 72,80€
6Q0 907 511 A - Stellmotor Entfrosterklappe - 70,60€
6Q0 907 511 - Stellmotor Temperaturregelklappe - 70,60€
6Q0 907 543 A - Temperatursensor Verdampfer - 12,70€
6Q0 907 543 B - Temperatursensor Fussraum
6Q0 907 543 C - Temperatursensor Aussentemp. - 12,70€
8Z0 260 805 A - Kompressor - 320€
4B0 260 810 C - Riemenscheibe - 123,50€
8Z0 260 759 M - Halter für Schlauch
045 903 137 D - Keilriemen - 13,30€
045 903 141 E - Halter für Generator und Kompressor - 48,20€
8Z0 260 403 C - Kondensator - 234,00€
8Z0 260 701 H - Schlauch - 86,30€
8Z0 260 707 H - Schlauch - 125€
8Z1 260 740 - Schlauch - 122,50€
8Z1 260 710 A - Rohr - 45,10€
8Z1 260 709 - Rohr - 36,95€

Macht zusammen mit MwSt. 2123,03€

Hello

There are lots of A2's in the UK without air-con....all base model 1.4, 1.4TDI's and even Sport models used to be supplied without it. It is the SE and the later 'Special Edition' models where air-con/climate control was a standard fit. The 'econ' button under the heater dials on TDI's seems to indicate to some dealers that there is an air-con condenser lurking in there but there isn't!

The A2 in particular benefits from air-con;on a warm day it's hard to get the through-flow of cool air through the standard system and driving around with the windows down is just too much!

I've had an A2 both with and without air-con and although i wouldn't go back to doing without there is still much to recommend a base-model A2...the ride on the smaller wheels is better and you could always invest in a few interior blinds and park it somewhere shady in the summer!? Do we have any warm days in the UK anyway?? Seems a distant memory in these arctic conditions....

David

Mine is a 2003 1.4 Tdi SE - So that might explain why it does not have aircon. I must say I rarely use the aircon in my A4 - so I gues I will have to live with it! - the conversion seems to be a to big a job.

Thanks

There are lots of A2's in the UK without air-con....all base model 1.4, 1.4TDI's and even Sport models used to be supplied without it. It is the 'earlier' SE and the later 'Special Edition' models where air-con/climate control was a standard fit.

...there, think that is 'strictly' true now!

how strange that for a while Audi UK felt that 'SE' (does this not stand for Special Equipment or similar??) was really a few bits of silver and leather trim and a bit of chipboard in the boot! Oh and front foglights...maybe??

Anyway, good luck with your A2...aircon or not

Back