Bridgestone B381

G

Guest 4123

Bridgestone have stopped making B381 155/65 R14's for the Lupo 3L. When I bought the car Bridgestone were the only company making this size but now there are literally dozens of companies making this size, which may explain Bridgestone's decision. As you may know, the B381 has very low rolling resistance. It may only be a matter of time before the B381 145/80 R14's for the A2 1.2 also become unavailable. However, there do seem to be very few manufacturers of this size, so maybe not. There have been problems with availability of the latter, in Germany at least, which is one reason for the fitting of alternative sizes, I believe. Perhaps our German friends could comment.

It seems to be very difficult to get information on comparison of different tyres for low rolling resistance. What are the best alternatives to B381's? Continental EcoContact 3, Michelin Energy 3B, Barum Brillantis, Hankook Optimo, Fulda Ecocontrol...? Any help much appreciated. B250 are definitely NOT a good replacement.

RAB

Hi RAB, I can't help you with the 145/80/14's for the 1.2 A2 but if you are looking for replacement tyres for the Lupo 3L then you could look for 165/65/14 Bridgestone B391's which are used on the Honda Insight. If you can get them you might take a small MPG hit because of the extra width, but as you suggest nothing can surpass the Bridgestones for low rolling resistance; Insight owners can lose 5MPG if they switch to a different tyre. I am still active on the main Honda Insight forum and to date no-one has found an equivalent tyre for MPG :(

Hi MPG,

If the right size was availabIe in B391's I might be tempted but I don't feel inclined to buy Bridgestones any more after discontinuing one tyre with no adequate replacement. After driving, if I touch the front tyres on the 3L (B391's) and the rears (B250's), the latter are markedly warmer and are probably doing a lot less work! Using a wider tyre may be self defeating. I have used Continental EC's before when I couldn't get Bridgestones and didn't notice any great deal of difference. Perhaps I should ask VW Germany for their recommendations. They seem to use Continental EC3's on Blue Motions.

RAB

Firestone F560 available in 145/80R14 cost around £39 each

But not ECO like Bridgestones

The Firestone F560 is an old fashioned profile suitable for oldtimers...

b.t.w. Firestone is owned by Bridgestone:)

Bridgestone is oblidged to make tyres for the A2 1.2 TDI for 10 years by a contract with AUDI, I have read - the first bigger quantity was sold in 2000 - so this contract will run out in 2010? Or latest in 2015 as the producton at Audi was stopped in June 2005?

Bridgestone B381s - Available in June?

Hi all A2OC 1.2TDI drivers!

I get through a set of 4 tyres about every 45k miles and only have two new spare B381s in the shed (internet order ex Reifen.com June 2007).

I'm therefore relieved at news that B381s back on line. Running Continental winter tyres for 10k miles drove diesel burn up some 10%....though they were very "grippy"!

News update, cut and paste off De A2forum site - via Bable fish!

"Hello to all Asphaltschlitzer, after written information of AUDI will Bridgestone the tires at the end of May (too only times partner prefers to the so-called AUDI) to deliver. Problem for the Lieferverzögerung is to have been a defective heating form, which is to have led to the loss of production in Japan. The defect its now repaired and the tires already produced are probably already by the sea route to Europe. This I kept information written from the AUDI AG to 29.04.08. There you are, now can do you against the Sidedrifts and Burnovers (quitscherl to put down) train and at the traffic light times show which goes if the Eco mode is switched off. , Well thing wants stays has. With rauchigen greetings and all time Hotwheels"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( Hallo an alle Asphaltschlitzer,

nach schriftlicher Auskunft von Audi wird Bridgestone die Reifen ende Mai ( bevorzugt zu erst mal an die sog. Audi Partner) ausliefern. Problem für die Lieferverzögerung soll eine defekte Heizform gewesen sein, welche zum Produktionsausfall in Japan geführt haben soll. Der Defekt sein nun behoben und die bereits produzierten Reifen seien wohl schon auf dem Seeweg nach Europa.
Dieses Auskunft habe ich schriftlich von der Audi AG am 29.04.08 erhalten.

Na also, jetzt könnt Ihr wider die Sidedrifts und Burnovers (ein quitscherl hinlegen)
trainieren und an der Ampel mal zeigen was geht wenn der Eco-Modus ausgeschaltet ist.
Ja ja, gut Ding will weile haben. Mit rauchigen Grüßen und allzeit Hotwheels)

Running Continental winter tyres for 10k miles drove diesel burn up some 10%....though they were very "grippy"! Now back on half worn B361s and averaging circa 87 mpg (3,2(?) l/100km again; but taking care around corners on damp roads!

Ciao,

Erling

Hi Erling,

I use summer tyres all year round and I get a difference of something like 6-9% in fuel consumption between winter and summer, so most of your difference may be due to temperature, not the tyres. I ran my Lupo 3L for some time with Conti Eco's as I could not get B381's and on a lifetime (from new) plot of kilometrage against fuel consumption, I cannot identify when this was! B381's are no doubt superior for rolling resistance but probably not by as much as you may think.

Regards

RAB

Conti Winter Tyres v B381s

I have found over the past 7 years - always changing to winter tyres from Dec to May than fule consumption went up over 10%.

I agree much of this is down to warm up period in winter and slightlyu different diesel blend.

However the road noise from the winter tyres alone means energy is being wasted.

Looking fwd to gettting some new B381s soon.

In fact I had the defect issue a couple of years back - the tyre deformed and increased it's rolling radius by 15% ! (3/4 worn)

Sent it back to Bridgestone UK who gave me a rather small discount on a new tyre!

B381

Thanks for the answer. Information of fuel consumtion in the winter it was at worst 0,38 , but nomaly 0,35-0,36 now in the hot summer using air condition it is 0,32-0,33. Im very curius to see the differens made by the B381

Back