Temperature gauge only works intermittently

GrahamR

My temperature gauge only seems to work some of the time. I suppose it's likely to be a faulty electrical connection rather than a faulty sensor. Any other suggestions?

Thanks Erstens. Sorry, I should have carried out a search before posting. It looks as though I need a new temperature sender!

But if it is only that and it mostly is, you can ignore that and drive for years with this fault.
As I did for a year. But now it works again well since months. I think the problem is the connector not the sensor. But all peaple change the sensor and all is fine.

Is the sensor / connector easy to access (from under the bonnet or under the engine?) Where should I look?

When you remove the bonnet, you will see it to the right of the cylinder head (if its a petrol) its in a plastic housing, on mine its sitting next to another sensor.When you order one make sure you get a new o-ring and the plastic clip.
Fit the new ring to the sender, remove clip and pull out old sender, then quickly replace with the new sender, so you dont lose to much coolant. Then put new clip on, top up coolant and run engine.

I got my sender from VW dealer paid about £7.60 i think.

Alan

Back