Clunk...!

Brabazon

Recently I've begun noticing a bit of a metallic clunk from the front driver side when going over a speed hump a little too quickly or hitting a pothole, and thought that maybe the suspension bushes might need replacing or something. But having scoured this forum I read a lot about the general choppiness of the ride and am beginning to wonder if this is just 'normal' for an A2 and what I really need is some of those Koni fsd's that everyone raves about fitted to make things a bit more comfy...

Is this occasional clunk normal enough for a 2003 car with 42k on the clock and 16" wheels? I'm itchy to order some 17" wheels but don't want to make the ride more rough than it is already... Are Koni's the way to go with 17" wheels?

Cheers, Jon

The clunk isn't normal. It's normally the front anti roll bar bushings that are causing the problem. Do a search and you'll find plenty of information.

I have a similar problem. However, mine appears to be a broken spring that's causing the ARB to hit off part of the suspension due to the car being lower than normal due to a piece of the spring missing. If you jack up the car and remove the wheel examint the top of the spring closely. A missing piece should be easy to see.

I'm due to get the sping replaced this week only a couple of months after getting the passenger side done. A2s appear to be prone to breaking springs for some reason.

Cheers Ken,

From what I've been reading on here it sounds like it might be the Anti Roll Bar. I'll have a wee look and see what I can see under there.

cheers, Jon

Hi just had car MOT'ed and it came back with anti-roll bar bush to much play failed. Well on jacking the car up and having a look, found that there's a sleave that fits over the arm and into the bush, has worked its way out , so tapped back into place all sorted, passed and no more clunks from the front end. Had this noise on the car since last year never came up with anything last year on MOT (or having a look around ball joints etc..) so just thought it was me been over sensetive to noise, even Skipton thought it might be drop links after he had been out in it when i had cruise fitted, so check them on yours they may have worked there way loose as well (bushes are less than fiver anyway)

Cheers Phil

Are they from Audi and i take it thats the part number on the post

These two rubber bushes part# 6Q0411314P (16 mm inner dia) originally are from the Polo 9N, the Skoda Fabia 6Y and the Seat Ibiza/Cordoba 6L.

Because these cars do share a lot of chassis related parts with our A2s, also these technically improved ARB bushings represent a Direct-Fit for the A2.

They can be purchased through any VW dealer. Over here many German A2 drivers do carry out this mod both after moving/breaking of the faulty designed plastic sleeves and also for prophylaxis – ARB knocking noise probs are gone forever after that inexpensive upgrade. :)

Back