The Old ARB Favorite

bdub

Hi All,
Knock on the off side of the wifes A2 ( 2003 ) 1.6fsi is the ARB bush. Not a small man with a hammer tapping on the bonnet as she described it.

After hours of waiting for the little chap, so i could grab him and take the hammer off him I finnaly diagnosed that the plastic sleeve has moved along the bar and hence out of the Mounting bush and bracket.

There seems to be loads of info on the forum about the Anti Roll Bar issues but i cant find a 'how to guide'. Does one exist for bush replacement or does it have to be the whole bar replacement job.

I heard that you can replace the bushes with VW Polo ones but not sure how you stop the bar moving laterally!

Simple answer: you don't.

The new bushes are 16mm ones and fit theoretically so tight you don't need to stop them moving. There was a thread not so long back with instructions (and photos) on how to replace these yourself.

you need a 13mm socket and two jacks.

Bret

Yep!

just buy a pair of inexpensive rubber bushes #6Q0411314P featuring 16 mm inner diameter.

Please do leave that negligible surface rust often developed under these broken plastic sleeves untreated.

That harmless rust with its rough surface in combination with these two new 16 mm rubber bushings (without any faulty plastic sleeve design incorporated) will prevent the 18 mm ARB from moving laterally :)

Fantastic - Just been and got the bushes from VW Derby - £5.03 all in for 2.

Thanks for your help

All done - took about 30mins - cluck has gone and car handles better.

What would we do without the forum and You guys & Gals!

Thanks all

Thank god for warranties........ my 52 plate 1.6 FSi has just had it's front ARB replaced for nowt!

Although the service guys did give me a price of £180 fitted before I reminded them of the warranty!

These all component cover warranties are fab.... still got a year left on it to.

Well done Listers Audi Worcester, top service.:D

Back