Brake light switch how to change ?

Hi folks,
i have has an intermittent glow plug light on my dash , after looking it up on this forum and realising i have no brake lights it appears its my brake light switch,

Vagcom has confirmed this . Now i know its supposed to be a relitively easy job to change so is there a how to on this job ?

Also , does anyone have a part number

Thanks in advance

Mark

Part number 1J0 945 511A - £8.50-ish from a dealer inc. VAT

To change, remove the dash lower trim (the bit above your knees) by removing the light switch and unclipping at the 3 points where it meets the upper dash. Look to the left of the steering column trim and you'll see a plug with 4 wires going into it - this is the brake switch.

Unclip the plug (press in the sides) and then grasp the switch and turn 90 degrees anti-clockwise, then remove it back and out. Insert the new one and trun 90 degrees clockwise and re-assemble, the reverse of the above.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike,
do you have a part number by any chance so i can get one from Audi ?

once i have the replacement to hand i will be able to identify it under the dash

no diagrams etc available ?

Mark

Mark, look at my reply again - the part number was the first thing I listed.

You are right to have the new one to hand before you start the job, but it probably won't help with identification more that my description - there is only 1 4-wire plug down there easily visible.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks both
sorry Mike i missed the part no :eek:

So looking at the picture the only visible wires are to the left of the steering column ?

thanks

Mark

OK, here's an annotated version of Sarges photo -

CIMG4813-2copy.jpg

Should be plain sailing from here. The common misconception is that the brake light switch is above the pedal - it isn't!

Cheers,

Mike

Well just thought i would add some photos to this thread, just done mine

1 Photo shows the part, 1 shows it behind the air trunking and then 1 with the trunking removed

When i fitted mine, the brake lights came on and stayed on, as the switch was not in contact, so just got my nail on the end gave it a little push and it clicked in to place, lights went out and when you pressed the brake all works

Just another thing when you twist the new one in place it is very stiff just be firm and it will go ;)

Cheers Phil

It may not be the switch...

I have just changed my brake light switch. Not only was the warning pinging on the dashboard but I was also sometimes getting the bulb warning light and more strangly (even when the ignition was off) the near-side FRONT parking light was coming on and a warning buzzer was going off when you held the brake pedal down.

If you need to change your switch I would also recommend removing the 25 torx screw from the plate that surrounds the pedals. It is in front of the clutch pedal. Also remove the small bit of air trunking as it will give you more access (it is held on with a plastic torx screw and should then pull off). You will then have a lot more room to get to the switch.

When I changed the switch I was still getting a warning message, what had actually happened is there a small metal plate that comes into contact with the switch and this had bent. Bent it back straight and both switches now work!

Thanks

Alex

I'm not sure, but it's possible that the 1J0 945 511A (black) part has been superceeded by 1J0 945 511D (purple) and then 1C0 945 511A (green).

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2496959&postcount=3

-- Edit: The garage gave me a green unit, 1J0 945 511 A RDW unit (the one I removed was purple, but a non-VAG unit since it had no VAG markings). I haven't managed to get it to work yet, but I only had a few minutes so I will have a longer go later.

There is a recall notice which describes how to remove the old part & replace it with the green one (written for VW mechanics rather than the general public)

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/deleontow/2008-12-18_181659_VW_N4_Recall_Notice.pdf

Last edited:
Got it going now :-} Took it back off then reseated it when I had more time. The green switch can be reused whereas the old designs could only have the piston length set once.

Being paranoid about the fitting I bought two switches just in case I broke the first, guess I have a spare now :)

I replaced a brake light switch today, even though for a good few months I did not have any warning lights on a dashboard
My brake lights worked, but I could notice a little delay between lights coming on and depressing brake pedal.

After the change, all works perfectly well. No delay, lights come on as soon as I press the brake pedal.

With regards to job itself. It was very hard for me to move that air ducting out the way.. It is attached on just one screw, but space around is very restricted, and I couldnt take it out. I just moved it down, but with a lot of effort :/

I have just replaced my switch and I'm still having the same problem as before, which is the brake lights are constantly on. Has anyone any ideas why this is, and what I can do to rectify it?

Thanks in advance....Rick

My guess is that the piston position is wrong on the new brake light switch. What colour is it? If it's green you can just take it out & try again. For the green one, (as far as I remember) the brake pedal should be in the normal (neutral/not depressed) position while you twist it into place. It took me a couple of goes to get it right.

Make sure its in contact with the brake pedal arm, when i first fitted mine the piston had not come out enough so showing brake lights on. After looking (in the dark) i could feel the gap so played around a bit then it popped out and all worked fine, try twisting the piston part to see if that helps

Phil

Back