Air con doesn't blow!

pgodoe

Hi!
Its winter here in Norway and all of a sudden the blower stopped. Crisis!! Can't see a damn thing cause of all the fog! The heater parts seems to be fine, and the fuses are fine.

Do I have to order a new blower motor? It has made some grinding noises the last year or so. Now its a full stop. Should I take it out, measure volts, or plug it straight to the battery to see f there's life?

Cheers!

-P-

There is a separate control unit (J126) for the blower so check this out before buying a blower unit. Even worse, if the blower has seized it may have burnt out the control unit. Maybe a good idea to start with a diagnostic scan.

Cheers Spike

Thanks!

Just checked the blower and it works fine when I juice it up with 12V directly from the battery. Haven't measured the volts going into the control unit (J126) but my guess now is that it might be the cause.

Noticed in Elsawin something called the "fresh-air blower series resistor with overheating cut-out -N24-". It sounds like this could be it as well? only problem is that I can't located it. Is this unit inside the blower? (Or are there individual differences among the blower units available?)

Removing the blower (which I have to do, to get to the control Unit) seems to be a pain. A couple of bolts are located in places I never thought was possible.

Cheers

-P-

The blower series resistor is only fitted on cars WITHOUT aircon.
You probably know this already but the info I read indicates you need to remove the glovebox and blower for access to the J126 controller.

Cheers Spike

The blower series resistor is only fitted on cars WITHOUT aircon.
You probably know this already but the info I read indicates you need to remove the glovebox and blower for access to the J126 controller.

Cheers Spike

Aaaah!:) That clears my confusion. Will have to change the J126 controller then.

Cheers

-P-

Great news! After measuring with a multi-meter, the blower burst to life!:) Probably just a bad contact leading into the control unit.
:)

-P-

I had the same problem, with the fan speed rising then dropping back to nothing and no air from fan, no noise, nothing! Swift bang on inside of glovebox upwards towards fan motor and fan popped back into life.
Lovely cheap fix hehe

Back