A2 TDi Glow plug lamp flashing

pezza

:( My A2 TDi has been parked up for a while during the cold weather. I had to recharge the battery as it had gone almost flat. I disconnected the battery leads before connecting the charger, to prevent any damage to the diode pack on the alternator. Since re-connecting the battery, the car has started OK, but the glowplug lamp on the dash is flashing continuously... Could anyone help please...

Well the manual states you should take it to the dealer... their computer will find the fault for you. The glow plug and engine management light share the same spot on petrol and diesel A2s.

When mine flashes it means the brake light switch went 9 times out of 10 (and it does feel as if has gone near 10 times in 8 years). It's a fiver from an independent dealer and easy to fit. Audi will charge you £43 for the same pleasure.

But then it could be a whole host of other things (as the brake light switch is mechanical and sits above your brake pedal and I suspect won't be affected by a battery recharge in the boot!)

Well the manual states you should take it to the dealer... their computer will find the fault for you. The glow plug and engine management light share the same spot on petrol and diesel A2s.

When mine flashes it means the brake light switch went 9 times out of 10 (and it does feel as if has gone near 10 times in 8 years). It's a fiver from an independent dealer and easy to fit. Audi will charge you £43 for the same pleasure.

But then it could be a whole host of other things (as the brake light switch is mechanical and sits above your brake pedal and I suspect won't be affected by a battery recharge in the boot!)
Many thanks for your vey prompt reply Johann... I'll get the switch checked out as this may have gone through lack of use. I've had the A2 which I bought new in 2005, it's a second car which isn't used much, the mileage is only 27,102. A friend is popping up at the weekend with his diagnostics computer which may also bring other problems to light, we'll see! Thanks again. Kind regards to you and yours. Ian

Long trip...

I was told by a motor dealer today, that it was quite common for this to happen when a car hasn't been used for a while... He told me to take it on a good long drive which would cure the problem. I left home this morning at 0730 and returned this evening at 1730... Yep, it's still flashing!!! I'm getting it checked out at the weekend hoping it's not too much of a problem. All of the rear brake lamps are working OK so I think I can rule out this being the cause. cheers for your reply. :)

I have the same problem and it is the brake light switch according to VAG-COM. All my brake lights function fine! As well as the glow plug light flashing i am also getting the ABS on occasionally. However new brake switch and all is well and no errors.

Back