Leon's 2001 A2 1.4 exclusive

Do coilovers achieve the same level of comfort/handling as Koni FSD's?

In fact for the A2 nothing – exept for Bilstein B6 plus standard height springs (including those made by GKN SPIDAN) – comes close to Koni FSD when dealing with A2 ride comfort.

In terms of handling all coilovers are superior to the FSDs – but not much because the FSDs guarantee much more traction and grip than any A2 stock suspension setup (including S-Line sports).

All FSD reviews here show that the FSDs make the A2 much flatter to drive through fast corners. Also nose-diving tendencies during hard braking is gone completely with the FSDs...

But body roll/nick is reduced further more by coilovers if directly compared to FSDs, especially if mounting KW variant 2 or FK Königsport or FK Silverline-X coilovers coming with Koni yellow rebound adjustable shocks (KW 2 only at the front).

The Bilstein B6 and B8, both featuring identical damping setting (sporty-firm but with still great comfort reserves for sport shocks), provide fewer body motions than Koni FSD.

There are indeed coilover kits that potentially will provide better ride comfort than an equally lowered sport springs/sport damper kit, namely the
  • BILSTEIN - B16 PSS9
  • BILSTEIN - B16 PSS10
  • KW variant 3

All of them do feature adjustable rebound and low-speed compression damping force. The KW V3 even comes with independent adjustability between rebound and compression :) - making the damper settings very versatile (ranging from a relatively “soft“ comfort-accentuated damper setting to “full-racing“ damping characteristics).

Most important for all A2 coilovers:
To maintain acceptable ride comfort with coilovers we have to stay within 30 to 50 mm of lowering.
  • A height setting of only minus 20 mm for instance would reduce the negative spring travel (important for comfort and traction) - leading to a stiffer spring rate induced by too much spring pre-load.
  • A height setting of minus 60 mm or lower for instance would minimise the free spring travel significantly. In consequence the A2 would permanently ride onto the coilovers' rubber bump stops instead of the springs - also leading to an uncomfortable harsh and bumpy ride.

Sadly non of the above listed coilovers are offered for the A2. :( For that I called Bilstein and KW to ask if the A2 could be upgraded with one of these coilovers originally made for the Polo 9N or Skoda Fabia 6Y or Seat IBIZA 6L (all do share same suspension mounts with our A2s).

But both the Bilstein and KW technical support staff refused to give their OK (i.e. clearance certificate for TÜV approval) although these coilovers most probably will fit the A2 without any probs.
However, definitely the springs would have to be altered to a lower spring rate to match the lighter A2 axle loads...

P.S. Probably this forum will soon see a review of SPAX RSX coilovers by a UK member. These SPAX RSX, like the Bilstein PSS9 and PSS10 coilovers, feature combined rebound and compression damping adjustability.

P.P.S. Below minus 50 mm of lowering the A2 potentially requires shorter drop links (please do a forum search for "FEBI")

Last edited:
@FBI: Yess that wil fitt, but also the newer models!

And i have different center caps on my TT rims, maybe thats why it looks different?

And i have different center caps on my TT rims, maybe thats why it looks different?
oh yes, I didn't noticed... They look nice. Maybe even nicer than originals. They are from RS4 alloys, aren't they ?
I have the same center caps as those on the pics posted Schnelletrecker. i.e. the original TT's.

Last edited:
In fact for the A2 nothing – exept for Bilstein B6 plus standard height springs (including those made by GKN SPIDAN) – comes close to Koni FSD when dealing with A2 ride comfort.

In terms of handling all coilovers are superior to the FSDs – but not much because the FSDs guarantee much more traction and grip than any A2 stock suspension setup (including S-Line sports).

All FSD reviews here show that the FSDs make the A2 much flatter to drive through fast corners. Also nose-diving tendencies during hard braking is gone completely with the FSDs...

Thanks, FSD will be my choice. My 1.4 A2 isn't sporty enough to justify a more extreme choice than FSD's.

And i bought a 3 spoke steering wheel, 2 pieces. One with and one without airbag.
Soif anybody is interested, you can send me PM, its the one in the picture.
Price is around 45GBP (no airbag included)

Last edited:
Back