£900 folly Repair 13. Add some oil, and change the separator

Oskar

A2OC Donor
My oil leak was terrible. Plenty on the floor, and very little in the sump.
A little research indicated it was likely the separator, rather than anything more serious.

I have the older, more square shape.

A quick £29 or so on eBay and I had an LSC part delivered.

The three (5mm?) hex bolts came off easily, and all appeared fine. The old separator looked quite new, and was not full at all, Photo 1, so I was suspicious....

The breather pipe that comes out of the top of the separator had a pronounced kink in it. Photo 2. I am reasonably sure this was the problem, and the pressure had to go soemwhere, so it forced the oil out of the seal.

A replacement breather pipe was very expensive, and also difficult to source. I believe it is part number 036103493AH and the only place I can get one is Latvia! Photo 4.

So, i decided to keep it (it was not leaking or fractured), but I needed to get rid of the kink. The breather pipe looks as though it should support itself, but I do wonder if there is a part missing or something to keep it all from kinking.

I just used some cable ties, and 'hung' the breather pipe from the brake/clutch mechanism directly above it. It is not heavy in any way, so will not present issues on the brake mechanism, but this is enough to ensure the breather pipe can work as it should. Photo 3

If anyone knows where I can get a reasonably priced replacement, that would be great, but this arrangement and the new separator is working fine, with no leaks at all.

Cheers

Matt

Attachments

• 4-oil_parts.jpeg
    4-oil_parts.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 2-kink.jpeg
    2-kink.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 3-hang.jpeg
    3-hang.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 1-separator.jpeg
    1-separator.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 92
Thanks Andy
I had not seen that site. Good info.

The cost, plus freight to UK as displayed on their site, totals about £53, then perhaps VAT added when it arrives in the UK, so it is a bit pricey for just a bit of pipe. If my current arrangement does not continue to work, I may have to stump up!

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Andy
I had not seen that site. Good info.

The cost, plus freight to UK as displayed on their site, totals about £53, then perhaps VAT added when it arrives in the UK, so it is a bit pricey for just a bit of pipe. If my current arrangement does not continue to work, I may have to stump up!

Cheers

Matt
Audi Tradition is a bit of a godsend.

You have not picked up on the reference to Rick, postage costs will be low. Rick is a member who lives and works in Germany and generously organises group buys from AT for members on a regular basis with no gain for himself except the large amount of time this must take. An urgent need can often be accommodated immediately.

This will give you a flavour.

Andy

Last edited:
Ah, I see. I did not know about Rick. That makes a huge difference (of course). I'll look into it.

Thanks again,

Matt

@Oskar

Typically its the part cost from AT + €6 to get it to me (and that could be a massive box with 20 items in..) then €13 untracked or €27 tracked to the UK and this is often shared.

Over all the parcels I have sent and there have been upwards of 40 now, only 2 have been intercepted and a charge / VAT applied. I make a point of stripping out all Audi paperwork and repack in used non VAG boxes

July Group Buy TBA.

Back