1.4 Petrol converted to LPG

Nice work! What speed does she cruise at to achieve those figures? One would assume around 60-65mph given the slight loss of power on LPG, which would translate to an equivalent of roughly 50mpg on petrol?

What does a full tank of LPG give you in range? I recall a previous thread of yours where you noted quite impressive range but that was on the very first full tank of gas you'd put in it.

Sounds like a relaxing way to travel, complete with smug-inducing grin each time you pay for your fill-up and reset the trip!

So if you need to "press on" at 70+ and/or blow the cobwebs away from gentle use, I assume you switch over to petrol do you? That would be how I would use the car I suppose, if I was worried about combustion temperature on gas.

Exactly. If we are in hilly country with a long climb I do switch over to petrol but on this trip mostly motorway the only time it used petrol was on start up in the morning for the first mile.

Nice work! What speed does she cruise at to achieve those figures? One would assume around 60-65mph given the slight loss of power on LPG, which would translate to an equivalent of roughly 50mpg on petrol?

What does a full tank of LPG give you in range? I recall a previous thread of yours where you noted quite impressive range but that was on the very first full tank of gas you'd put in it.
The most I have ever got into the tank is 24 litres which takes me about 230 miles with petrol as my reserve tank. I do find myself filling up whenever i can though to keep it full as down here lpg stations are few and far between.I try to coincide fill ups with a shopping trip.I have put a number of lpg stations as favourites on my sat nav

i found a 1.4 petrol A2 thats been converted to lpg on facebook a few weeks ago. its at totnes south devon £550
its a non runner, got a darn great tank in the rear.

i found a 1.4 petrol A2 thats been converted to lpg on facebook a few weeks ago. its at totnes south devon £550
its a non runner, got a darn great tank in the rear.
Any ideas why it was a non-runner; was the reason related to the conversion?

the little A2 gem converted to lpg averaged 43.8mpg
I just can't imagine that you'd ever get that figure when running on LPG? I first converted a car to LPG in the 70's and I've been converting cars ever since. I run a factory Bi-fuel Dacia Sandero. It's state of the art and has a small, 3-cylinder engine. Typical mpg is 37 mpg. There is a 20% loss in mpg compared with petrol when running any car on LPG. That's always the case. My other vehicle is a Mercedes SLK which I personally converted to LPG. I recently achieved 228 miles on 40 litres of LPG. Not bad for a 2.3 litre engine that developes quite a lot of power .....
I have a diesel Audi A2 which is in remarkable condition and is fully spec'd and wanting for nothing. I've thought to fit a petrol engine/gearbox so that I can convert it to run on LPG. The petrol engine version does have a much superior gearbox change-action. Another way would be to go electric. The minimum LPG tank size that I'd fit would be 50 litres. I agree with what you've said regarding there being fewer and fewer filling points for LPG. Fortunately, the Morrisons group of Supermarkets do seem to always have that fuel on sale.

David

I checked the mileage covered on the speedo with google maps distance and only had a tiny difference so the mileage is reasonably firm. Fuelling-there were 4 different pumps concerned. First fill up full in Pembroke then M4 Leigh Delamere eastbound then westbound on the way back and finally Morrisons Port Talbot filled up full.. I accept there may be a difference in pressures at Pembroke and Port Talbot but at each stage the MPG was reasonably consistent individually and finally cumulatively . I think 43.8 mpg is the right ball park figure as the pressure difference would have shown up in the individual calculation. Going electric ??? Back in August I fixed my domestic electric at 19.8 p per kwh Until Sept 2024 and gulped when I did it as it was nearly double the price on my last contract.. The same supplier would want 42p now fixing until March 2024.

Have you seen the youtube videos about guys using a small amount of propane in a diesel just putting it into the air intake after the sensors. They suggest it increases the percentage of diesel burned reducing emissions and developing more power ?

I just can't imagine that you'd ever get that figure when running on LPG? I first converted a car to LPG in the 70's and I've been converting cars ever since. I run a factory Bi-fuel Dacia Sandero. It's state of the art and has a small, 3-cylinder engine. Typical mpg is 37 mpg. There is a 20% loss in mpg compared with petrol when running any car on LPG. That's always the case. My other vehicle is a Mercedes SLK which I personally converted to LPG. I recently achieved 228 miles on 40 litres of LPG. Not bad for a 2.3 litre engine that developes quite a lot of power .....
I have a diesel Audi A2 which is in remarkable condition and is fully spec'd and wanting for nothing. I've thought to fit a petrol engine/gearbox so that I can convert it to run on LPG. The petrol engine version does have a much superior gearbox change-action. Another way would be to go electric. The minimum LPG tank size that I'd fit would be 50 litres. I agree with what you've said regarding there being fewer and fewer filling points for LPG. Fortunately, the Morrisons group of Supermarkets do seem to always have that fuel on sale.

David
Ok some back of envelope calculations- 2.3 litre merc 228 miles using 40 litres = 17.39 litres of fuel per 1 litre engine size. An A2 =1.39 litres engine size therefore 1.39 * 17.39 = 24.17 litre of fuel pro rata. 228 miles / 24.17 = 9.43 miles per litre of fuel= 42.87 mpg which is in the same ball park .So not much different. I guess extra body weight and gearing cancel each other out roughly speaking.

I remember old member @Pamanal converting his 1.4 to LPG almost 20 years ago now - a Pine Green model if I remember correctly. I think he was the pioneer in this conversion, certainly within the club, and he used to get decent mileage on runs to socials. Great guy, sorely missed.

Just a few interesting points to add to this discussion .... The Bi-fuel Dacia Sandero actually develops more power when running on LPG. I've done 7,500 miles and all on LPG. The very best it's achieved is 39 mpg. I am absolutely delighted with it and it's saved a fortune on fuel costs. The Mercedes SLK uses an AC Stag system. Its software is cutting edge and highly sophisticated. There is provision to fine-tune the running parameters on LPG to achieve superb economy and performance. I have set up the system to rapidly change over from petrol to LPG on start-up, so as to minimise the use of petrol. (All LPG conversions will start on petrol and then, after warming-up, change over to LPG) I've always been aware that it is possible to part-run a diesel on LPG. I believe that a maximum of 30% of the fuel can be LPG. However, converting my A2 in this way would still leave the inferior diesel gearbox. I feel that I'm just being lazy in not making an effort to sort-out my current gearbox problems. The trouble is that it is now off-road, so to get it to someone who could fix it (Stealth/WOM) would be a transporter of a car trailer. I wonder if the is any A2OC member who would be able to offer some assistance, here? They would be treated warmly and generously. Accommodation is available, too! ( Quite a few members have paid me a visit and all are welcome here!

David

David - An observation on your Sandero 39 MPG. Have you checked the impact of the extra weight and the higher drag coefficient of the Sandero compared to a A2 petrol ? there may be your answer to why you are puzzled. Sandero drag .39 A2 between .25 and .29. Weight Sandero 1109 KG A2 petrol yr 2000 895 KG. I wonder what my mpg would be if I permanently carried 2 16 stone passengers extra and had a permanent a roof rack and top box !

Simple logic here .... if your A2 is doing 43.8 mpg on LPG, then that would mean that taking into account the (unavoidable) 20% loss on that fuel, it should be doing 55 mpg on petrol? I wonder if the petrol A2 can do that sort of mpg? My 6-speed diesel A2 and with steady driving typically returned that figure. Just what is the normal mpg to be expected from a petrol A2? Regarding what you've said about the Dacia Sandero .... It's the only factory converted car that's available in the UK. That means that it's totally professional and tuned for that very car ..... and it shows. Excellent performance and smooth running. Quick to change over to LPG. I've only put 20 litres of petrol into the tank since I've owned it. I've been offered over £1000 more than I paid for it, new! No, I haven't got shares in Dacia and I'm not on commission! :) It's just a current and modern car. There is only one slightly negative area with it, and that's a feeling that the sound-deadening could be better.I would say that it seems a bit "tinny". Well, it was only £12,000 .... half the cost of the equivalent Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot.

David

Simple logic here .... if your A2 is doing 43.8 mpg on LPG, then that would mean that taking into account the (unavoidable) 20% loss on that fuel, it should be doing 55 mpg on petrol? I wonder if the petrol A2 can do that sort of mpg? My 6-speed diesel A2 and with steady driving typically returned that figure. Just what is the normal mpg to be expected from a petrol A2? Regarding what you've said about the Dacia Sandero .... It's the only factory converted car that's available in the UK. That means that it's totally professional and tuned for that very car ..... and it shows. Excellent performance and smooth running. Quick to change over to LPG. I've only put 20 litres of petrol into the tank since I've owned it. I've been offered over £1000 more than I paid for it, new! No, I haven't got shares in Dacia and I'm not on commission! :) It's just a current and modern car. There is only one slightly negative area with it, and that's a feeling that the sound-deadening could be better.I would say that it seems a bit "tinny". Well, it was only £12,000 .... half the cost of the equivalent Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot.

David

I am not saying all a2 petrol do this . I guess how heavy traffic is ,builtup or open motorway all play their part but I am pleased with it

Back