1.4 Petrol Fuel Pump.

Had an issue at the weekend with an A2 in my possession. Fuel pump packed up. So I searched on here for any info and most of it was to do with the tandem pump on the diesels. So not sure if it has been done before so here's what I did.

Remove back seats and pull up boot floor carpet which exposes a large, round plastic cover.
Rotate it and it will disengage from the floor allowing access to the fuel sender/pump assembly.
It looks the same as the diesel version from the top.
Disconnect the multi plug electrical connection and the flow and return pipes. There is a button that has to be squeezed then the fuel lines lift away from their connections.
I used a small block of wood and a hammer to tap the large plastic locking ring anti clockwise to allow the unit to lift out.
On withdrawing the unit tuck in the flexible fuel lines to allow the unit to be pulled clear. Also be careful of the float itself when pulling it out.
The unit then has to be dismantled a little bit to gain access to the pump itself.
There are four screws which hold the pump chamber to the float assembly. remove them.
Then carefully prise apart the two fuel line clips and pull off the flow and return pipes to the pump outlet and the chamber return.
These plastic parts may be brittle with age but mine were ok but go very careful here.
The two electrical spade connectors to the pump itself can now be disconnected. There are tiny locking clips that have to be pushed in with a small screwdriver to allow the connectors to release.
There are four clips around the top of the fuel chamber which have to be very carefully released to allow the lid to come off exposing the pump.
There is a large gauze pick up filter on the bottom which also unclips.
With the chamber pulled apart the pump is held in place by the interference fit of a couple of O rings at the bottom. Carefully wiggle the pump and it will come free.

Thats it-the pump is in your hand. I tested it on a battery and it was intermittent so I had a spare one to swap over.
Reassembly is a reversal of the above.
The unit has a large circular seal that goes back in easier with a smear of grease.

After everything went back together the ignition was switched on, the pump began whirring and the whoosh of fuel pumping along the lines was heard. It started immediately.

Out of interest, where is the fuel pump relay located? (if there is one of course) Under the floor on the passenger side?
IMG_2011.jpeg
IMG_2010.jpeg

Yep, 612 under the floor. It’s more than a relay, it handles crash cutoff and priming, so it’s a relay with a timer inside

Last edited:
Back