1.4 TDi tank size and fuel gauge???

Miniblob

I've put a few miles on my A2 now - it's a 2001 1.4TDi.
According to the danger that is google, it should have a 42L fuel tank.
Is that correct???

I filled up this morning, just after it gave the deafening beeeeep for low fuel and managed to squeeze in... 24.2 litres!!!!!

How much fuel should be left / what sort of distance can you cover, after the fuel warning comes on???
Also, now full the gauge sits just below the full mark on the gauge.

Is the gauge unreliable in these? Is mine just lying to me??

The 42l tank was only on the later cars.

Yours will be the smaller one but for the life of me I can’t remember the size of the smaller one. 35 comes to mind but don’t quote me on it.

Is that correct???

It's not correct, you have the 34L fuel tank. Because you're running diesel, you can 'top up' the tank if you want to get it completely full.

Is that correct???

I filled up this morning, just after it gave the deafening beeeeep for low fuel and managed to squeeze in... 24.2 litres!!!!!

How much fuel should be left / what sort of distance can you cover, after the fuel warning comes on???
Also, now full the gauge sits just below the full mark on the gauge.

Is the gauge unreliable in these? Is mine just lying to me??

Typically this is 5lt from the three bongs of death to the empty on the gauge then there is a further 5 lt to actual empty
This is consistent with your 24 lt fill as you have a 34 litre tank
You can burp the tank when filling to get an extra litre or so in

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above, you can take the "0 mile range" mark as the suggestion to fill up when you next see a filling station, if you wish. Certainly no need to fill up as soon as possible from the low fuel warning.

Both @depronman Paul and I have run A2s at least 50 miles past this point in the past, with plenty of fuel left in the tank to spare, so you can be suitably assured. Audi really did not want anyone running out of fuel in the A2!

On my 34L tank car once we're not in the depths of winter it goes around 310 miles (commuting only) when the fuel warning goes off. Capacity at that point is 26-27L to refill (without going to extremes), suggesting that there are up to 7L still present and opportunity to put in some more on top by playing with the valve in the filler neck.

In previous posts I've described how I recalibrated the gauge so that the bong would go off at around 4L to go - and this worked 2 years ago - but without making any adjustment since, this year the bong now goes off when there are 7L to go again ...

As above, you can take the "0 mile range" mark as the suggestion to fill up when you next see a filling station, if you wish. Certainly no need to fill up as soon as possible from the low fuel warning.

Both @depronman Paul and I have run A2s at least 50 miles past this point in the past, with plenty of fuel left in the tank to spare, so you can be suitably assured. Audi really did not want anyone running out of fuel in the A2!

90 miles past empty on gauge was when I bottled it. I was going a diesel pitch treatment and wanted the tank as low as possible (I would not normally go so low on diesel)

I got 35.8 lt back in the tank when I filled it up again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, 34L tank makes a lot more sense!

I know I should search it, but how do I 'top up/burp' the tank? I always let it settle after the pump clicks and dribble as much more in as I can, a couple of times!

As for the '0 mile range' - I only have a basic spec, so unless I'm missing a button, it doesn't show me range anywhere? Always show the outside temp on the little screen.

I filled up at that point as I was about to commute 35 miles each way and only pass a couple of petrol stations - most of which don't seem to have any fuel again at the moment!

I covered about 275 miles on that so approx 51mpg!
So should be another 90+ miles in the tank at that first warning!
(I know better will be achievable, I was not driving economically at all!!!)

Thanks guys, 34L tank makes a lot more sense!

I know I should search it, but how do I 'top up/burp' the tank? I always let it settle after the pump clicks and dribble as much more in as I can, a couple of times!

As for the '0 mile range' - I only have a basic spec, so unless I'm missing a button, it doesn't show me range anywhere? Always show the outside temp on the little screen.

I filled up at that point as I was about to commute 35 miles each way and only pass a couple of petrol stations - most of which don't seem to have any fuel again at the moment!

I covered about 275 miles on that so approx 51mpg!
So should be another 90+ miles in the tank at that first warning!
(I know better will be achievable, I was not driving economically at all!!!)
Ah, you don’t have DIS in your car. In that case see Paul’s post above on taking it 90 miles past the bong!

Back