1.4 Tuning

Trig

How strangled are the lumps in the 1.4's, how much could be gained by some headwork, opening up of the inlet, modding the throttlebody, exhaust etc.

A2's coming off the road soon for some much needed TLC so perfect oportunity to have a bit of a play, perhaps pick up some bits from a scrappy have a play with them and then stick them on the car..

We've recently done a little bit of development on the 1.4 75hp engines.
The best we managed was on a Lupo 1.4 75hp 'S'. he had a Cat-back exhaust fitted and a BMC CDA air filter. It went away with 92bhp at the flywheel which isn't bad at all.

What about the cams? I heard the 100bhp 1.4 engine has different cams and vw motorsport in germany do a pair of cams for the 1.4 (not cheap). It may be for a group N rally car, but add a 4-2-1 manifold and it should be good for 100+bhp of linear NA power! Not sure how you would reamp the MM ECU though.

What about the cams? I heard the 100bhp 1.4 engine has different cams and vw motorsport in germany do a pair of cams for the 1.4 (not cheap). It may be for a group N rally car, but add a 4-2-1 manifold and it should be good for 100+bhp of linear NA power! Not sure how you would reamp the MM ECU though.
"Linear" isn't the best word to describe the behaviour of a rally car engine !
But I'm interrested too in what can be done easily to gain some bhp's...
If it's only a pair of cams from the 100 bhp Polo, why not !
But I bet there are also changes on the intake side... (what about EGR ?)

the road car cams may be obtainable if you can identify engine code and the parts of the 100bhp 1.4.

The group n polo mods are here http://www.vwmotorsport.com/vwcat/vwcat.asp (click the polo) Which has manifold and cams amongst other stuff.

But remap is the problem, AFAIK, no one has done remap with the MM ECU, which you would want to do after installing different cams.

If you know megasuirt, then you might be able to use that, get the cheap eaton supercharger from the mini S on ebay and get someone to fabricate a mount :) It is what I would do!

The 100bhp 1.4 Engines use quite a bit of different stuff to be fair.
Cams, Inlet manifold, Same throttle body as the Lupo GTI (1.6 16v 125bhp)
There is quite a bit of info on Club Lupo regarding the differences between the AUA(75hp) and he AUB(100hp) engines.

Back