1.6 FSI EML - Fixing the dash light?

tnpali01

My 1.6 FSI now been proboosted thanks @nod and is now running quite well. No EPC light on ,performance seems to be much better , although there is a little rev flutter at idle.... pre proboost I was seeing EPC light illuminated and no EML light at all , nothing even at startup... I decided today to investigate why the missing EML (which I believe should light with EPC) doesnt illuminate on startup. Anyway I have removed the clocks unit and was expecting to find a blown bulb, or taped over bulb. I have removed the cluster, and the back cover but cannot seem to see any bulbs , are they all diodes? nothing seems to be taped over of blacked out. Any thoughts ? Not sure now what I can do to have a working EML light . I presume on a 2003 car this is now an MOT fail, so I need to resolve .

My 1.6 FSI now been proboosted thanks @nod and is now running quite well. No EPC light on ,performance seems to be much better , although there is a little rev flutter at idle.... pre proboost I was seeing EPC light illuminated and no EML light at all , nothing even at startup... I decided today to investigate why the missing EML (which I believe should light with EPC) doesnt illuminate on startup. Anyway I have removed the clocks unit and was expecting to find a blown bulb, or taped over bulb. I have removed the cluster, and the back cover but cannot seem to see any bulbs , are they all diodes? nothing seems to be taped over of blacked out. Any thoughts ? Not sure now what I can do to have a working EML light . I presume on a 2003 car this is now an MOT fail, so I need to resolve .
Check out this thread for things to check: https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/disabled-eml.38895/#post-344258

If I remember correctly the EML requirement for the MOT is for cars registered after July 1st 2003. So if your car is pre that then EML is not applicable. Obviously if registered after that then the EML does need to function correctly.

1. Your FSI may be a MOT exemption from the need for functioning EML depending on age, can't remember the rules but someone will.

2. Not sure but does a ProBoost mapped FSI show an EML at start up?

3. Black wadding in the EML 'light tunnel' has been known to occur, check this.

Andy

Edit. I see audifan has a better memory than me.

Last edited:
My 1.6 FSI is a September 2003 ,, not sure how it passed MOT just prior to me purchasing ? have now worked out the EML is working. Have identified that it looks like the graphic window in the black dial face may have been coloured in with some form of black paint or permanent marker on the reverse, so between the clock and dial face . Not sure if the dial faces can be removed / replaced? so far just used a cotton bud with a little dab of alcohol,on it and have cleared a little of the window, can see a little of the engine icon ....reassembled and can see EML light and extinguish so I know the operation of the light is working. Now may just a long and slow process with cotton bud and alcohol to remove whatever is masking the window or can I get a replacement clock face ?

Is it easy to swap clock faces from another cluster if I can manage to get hold of one?

Last edited:
My 1.6 FSI is a September 2003 ,, not sure how it passed MOT just prior to me purchasing ? have now worked out the EML is working. Have identified that it looks like the graphic window in the black dial face may have been coloured in with some form of black paint or permanent marker on the reverse, so between the clock and dial face . Not sure if the dial faces can be removed / replaced? so far just used a cotton bud with a little dab of alcohol,on it and have cleared a little of the window, can see a little of the engine icon ....reassembled and can see EML light and extinguish so I know the operation of the light is working. Now may just a long and slow process with cotton bud and alcohol to remove whatever is masking the window or can I get a replacement clock face ?
The best person to talk to is Tom(Timms) about a new clock face and while in conservation raise the question of correct calibration on reassembly.

Andy

Re my previous post some background...

Andy

Re my previous post some background...

Andy
Did this get anywhere ? the thread appears to have stopped without any solution
The best person to talk to is Tom(Timms) about a new clock face and while in conservation raise the question of correct calibration on reassembly.

Andy
@timmus Hi, is replacing dials a service you currently offer and how would I go about getting you to replace a dial for me? Not in any immediate rush as MOT is Sept 23. Also after reading @Andrew post wondering if i might need to recalibrate my current cluster even if I havent removed any needles to date, all I have done is prise the dial face slightly forward to attempt cleaning of whatever has been fitted. What im worrying though is if the dials have been off to paint or colour in the EML window and then not recalibrated. Would the best way to test this to drive and compare GPSspeed reading to sat nav or smartphone?

Is it easy to swap clock faces from another cluster if I can manage to get hold of one?

Yes, it is fairly easy but you have to be particular. I have done it twice so far on this car and numerous on others. The best way to explain this is by watching numerous youtube videos that show you how to to replace the LCD screen.

You have to make a note of where the needles are parked with masking tape before taking them out. If not then just eyeball it and you won't be far off (maybe). Otherwise you have to power them up on the bench without any other input attached so that the shaft moves to the programed "0" position and then install the needles. On other makes you can isntruct their vcds-coutnerpart to move the needle to a specific location on the dial and then install the needle but that includes more work on the bench. Maybe you can do it with vcds in the instrument cluster output tests.

Evros

Did this get anywhere ? the thread appears to have stopped without any solution

@timmus Hi, is replacing dials a service you currently offer and how would I go about getting you to replace a dial for me? Not in any immediate rush as MOT is Sept 23. Also after reading @Andrew post wondering if i might need to recalibrate my current cluster even if I havent removed any needles to date, all I have done is prise the dial face slightly forward to attempt cleaning of whatever has been fitted. What im worrying though is if the dials have been off to paint or colour in the EML window and then not recalibrated. Would the best way to test this to drive and compare GPSspeed reading to sat nav or smartphone?
I have sent you a private message regarding your various instrument cluster questions.

Cheers,

Tom

Back