1.6 fsi help with part name HELP

Anne

Hi can someone help me identify what piece this is. The second photo is the part that’s being fitted currently which is coloured gold, as they have come to fit the gold piece today they have said this bit shown in photo 1 is missing??

Help!!!

Thanks Anne

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 113
  • 6A710A9F-AC7C-4838-84FC-FB51C569C0D2.png
    6A710A9F-AC7C-4838-84FC-FB51C569C0D2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 122
The gold partis is the vacuum actuator for the manifold flaps mechanism. There should be a linkage between the actuator rod, and the flap spindle.
The missing part could be the bell crank that is fixed to the flap spindle. The vacuum actuator moves downward, the actuator rod is pinned to a linkage, the other and fits the bell crank, that allows the linkage to turn the flap spindle.

There is also a potentiometer that monitors the flap position. It is part 17 in the exploded parts diagram.
Contact @A2Steve or @Clackers who may well have a spare.

It would help me be sure if the garage could take a pic of the parts they have, and where they are fitting them.
Once the repair is complete, the flap mechanism must be calibrated using VCDS, a software diagnostic tool. Please make sure the mechanic is aware that the FSI is very technical in it's operation, and unlike most, (if not all), similar VSG engines.
Mac.

Last edited:
The gold partis is the vacuum actuator for the manifold flaps mechanism. There should be a linkage between the actuator rod, and the flap spindle.
The missing part could be the bell crank that is fixed to the flap spindle.
There is also a potentiometer that monitors the flap position. It is part 17 in the exploded parts diagram.
Contact @A2Steve or @Clackers who may well have a spare.
It would help me be sure if the garage could take a pic of the parts they have, and where they are fitting them.
Once the repair is complete, the flap mechanism must be calibrated using VCDS, a software diagnostic tool. Please make sure the mechanic is aware that the FSI is very technical in it's operation, and unlike most, (if not all), similar VSG engines.
Mac.
These might help them understand things (in case they don't).
Mac.
Audi-A2-2000-2005-16-Fsi-Bad-Engine-_57.jpg

Attachments

• fsi flap assy mac.pdf
    90.4 KB · Views: 100
Hi can someone help me identify what piece this is. The second photo is the part that’s being fitted currently which is coloured gold, as they have come to fit the gold piece today they have said this bit shown in photo 1 is missing??

Help!!!

Thanks Anne
This what the garage says is broken

Help!!!

Thanks Anne
Hi many thanks for your speedy reply it looks like I might be in luck sourcing the broken part but will have to wait till the morning.

Cheers anne

@Anne

Good Evening Anne,

I bring bad news on several levels, I hope you are sitting down.

I am confident your broken part is situated on the end of the lower input manifold, shown here attached to the vacuum actuator, but as you mechanics discovered today not part of it.

PIC 1.jpg

It is actually part of the manifold.

PIC 2.jpg

The big big problem is it is not a separate part but an integral part of the manifold and thus not available from Audi by itself. If you need it you have to buy a new manifold and it is not cheap, circa £500 which is ridiculous for a small plastic part costing pennies to make that is known to break. I have commented before IMHO this is extremely poor form by Audi and they should hang their head in shame.

Excuse me now I have to break off for a couple of hours or so, I will return later with a lot more to say, there are several cheaper alternatives.

Andy

@Anne

Good Evening Anne,

I bring bad news on several levels, I hope you are sitting down.

I am confident your broken part is situated on the end of the lower input manifold, shown here attached to the vacuum actuator, but as you mechanics discovered today not part of it.

View attachment 101224

It is actually part of the manifold.

View attachment 101225

The big big problem is it is not a separate part but an integral part of the manifold and thus not available from Audi by itself. If you need it you have to buy a new manifold and it is not cheap, circa £500 which is ridiculous for a small plastic part costing pennies to make that is known to break. I have commented before IMHO this is extremely poor form by Audi and they should hang their head in shame.

Excuse me now I have to break off for a couple of hours or so, I will return later with a lot more to say, there are several cheaper alternatives.

Andy
Hi @Andrew Is that the bell crank, as I called it?
Mac.

Continuing, fed, watered and groomed.

As I see it you you have several repair options.

Option 1. Buy a new manifold.

For: Something to be said for a new manifold, squeaky clean (no carbon deposit build up), no wear. Probably available in just a few days as Audi shunt it round the country to you, but longer if shipped from Germany. Long expected lifespan, will probably outlive the car.

Against: As noted cost, but no matter if you have deep pockets.

Option 2. Buy a used manifold.

For: Much cheaper. £100ish on here, often advertised. £200+ from professional breakers.

Against: Will have wear, remaining lifespan unknown. Will need cleaning = labour costs. Availability uncertain. Time to obtain.

Option 3. Buy a replacement for the broken part from an independent source.

This breakage is common enough for skilled members to make their own, for example

Other members with 3d Print machines and skills have printed their own.

Expect something available from our German counterpoint club.

In fact I fairly sure our highly skilled and generous member Paul(Depronman) will make you one given one to copy (or I expect the broken one). Either CNC machined in metal or printed plastic.

For: Lower cost.

Against; Timescale to organise & manufacture and same Against points as Option 2.

Hope this helps. Maybe more to say tomorrow.

Andy

Last edited:
@Anne If your manifold is in good condition, clean, and with the flaps free to move, and getting the car on the road is a priority, buying a used manifold from @Clackers @A2Steve or @Ami and canibleising the parts you need, is the only economic way to go, in my opinion.
If the car can be left off the road for a while, then getting a replacement made by @depronman is favourite by far.
If you go the used route post a wanted ad on the marketplace here: "Wanted, FSI Inlet Manifold"
Mac.

@Anne If your manifold is in good condition, clean, and with the flaps free to move, and getting the car on the road is a priority, buying a used manifold from @Clackers @A2Steve or @Ami and canibleising the parts you need, is the only economic way to go, in my opinion.
If the car can be left off the road for a while, then getting a replacement made by @depronman is favourite by far.
If you go the used route post a wanted ad on the marketplace here: "Wanted, FSI Inlet Manifold"
Mac.

A replacement manifold would also resolve the issue where the flaps are NOT free to move on the car's current manifold. I do wonder if this might be the cause of the bell crank letting go in this case. Availability secondhand seems to be pretty good at least.

A replacement manifold would also resolve the issue where the flaps are NOT free to move on the car's current manifold. I do wonder if this might be the cause of the bell crank letting go in this case. Availability secondhand seems to be pretty good at least.

You're right Sir. @Anne needs to check with her mechanic that the flaps are in good condition.
If in doubt, post pics here.
I'd be an expensive mistake to put it all back together, and still have an EML.
Mac.

Good Afternoon Anne,

If you go down the used manifold route don't bin the old one, sell it on here I'd be interested in it for a few pounds.

Andy

Back