1.6 Fsi problem

coachswin

I have been the owner of an A2 1.6 fsi for almost 4 years. It is 2005 plate with just under 80k miles on the clock. It has been regularly serviced. The car at the moment is in Italy!
I have a problem. The emission warning light has come on and the local garage (which is good) has had a look at it and advised me that it is the high-pressure injectors/pump which are the problem. In Italy, the only source of the part/s is from Audi and they would cost in excess of £1k. This is an excessive amount for the value of the car. Any suggestions on the best way to sort this out. I am good at DIY, so would consider tackling the job, if that is possible.
The car still runs, sometimes quite well when not under load, but I have been advised to keep the speed down. It is possible that I could drive it back from Italy, but it would be a long journey and perhaps not possible with the current covid restrictions.

I have been the owner of an A2 1.6 fsi for almost 4 years. It is 2005 plate with just under 80k miles on the clock. It has been regularly serviced. The car at the moment is in Italy!
I have a problem. The emission warning light has come on and the local garage (which is good) has had a look at it and advised me that it is the high-pressure injectors/pump which are the problem. In Italy, the only source of the part/s is from Audi and they would cost in excess of £1k. This is an excessive amount for the value of the car. Any suggestions on the best way to sort this out. I am good at DIY, so would consider tackling the job, if that is possible.
The car still runs, sometimes quite well when not under load, but I have been advised to keep the speed down. It is possible that I could drive it back from Italy, but it would be a long journey and perhaps not possible with the current covid restrictions.
Hello, where is the car now? If it is not too far from bologna, my mechanic could help you, he has amassed lots of experience fixing my three A2s!
Please let me know,
Stefano

You ask for suggestions.

1. Ask the garage if it is possible to email you the scan output and post it here for comment, it may or may not be worthwhile.
2. Ask @A2Steve or @Clackers, they may be able to provide you with used injectors (get them professionally tested and cleaned - £100) and an HPP at a small fraction of £1000!

Must be difficult dealing with a garage so far away, I hope they are familiar with the FSI. The car is at about the right mileage to develop flap problems.

Andy

Hello, where is the car now? If it is not too far from bologna, my mechanic could help you, he has amassed lots of experience fixing my three A2s!
Please let me know,
Stefano
The car is 10 minutes inland from Pedaso. Just under 3 hours south of Bologna on the autostrada. There appear to be few if any 1.6 Fsi's in Italy and most expertise is on the diesel version and to a lesser extent the 1.4 petrol. Let's see what Stefano has got to say. I didn't expect a possible Italian solution to my problems!

You ask for suggestions.

1. Ask the garage if it is possible to email you the scan output and post it here for comment, it may or may not be worthwhile.
2. Ask @A2Steve or @Clackers, they may be able to provide you with used injectors (get them professionally tested and cleaned - £100) and an HPP at a small fraction of £1000!

Must be difficult dealing with a garage so far away, I hope they are familiar with the FSI. The car is at about the right mileage to develop flap problems.

Andy
If I removed the injectors and brought them back to the UK for cleaning and testing would that be a sensible way forward?

The car is 10 minutes inland from Pedaso. Just under 3 hours south of Bologna on the autostrada. There appear to be few if any 1.6 Fsi's in Italy and most expertise is on the diesel version and to a lesser extent the 1.4 petrol. Let's see what Stefano has got to say. I didn't expect a possible Italian solution to my problems!
Hello, I'm not sure if driving three hours from Pedaso to Bologna would be possible, but if you can do it, my mechanics the Gordini brothers are very helpful and may manage the scan, cleaning of injectors, etc. If the problem is adjusting/fixing something, they will do it and they are not expensive at all. They know the FSI quite well having disassembled most of my own car...! On the other hand if a new pump is really needed, I'm afraid that the Audi spares cost the same all over the world, i.e. a lot...
Please let me know if you want me to alert them. All the best
Stefano

Hello, I'm not sure if driving three hours from Pedaso to Bologna would be possible, but if you can do it, my mechanics the Gordini brothers are very helpful and may manage the scan, cleaning of injectors, etc. If the problem is adjusting/fixing something, they will do it and they are not expensive at all. They know the FSI quite well having disassembled most of my own car...! On the other hand if a new pump is really needed, I'm afraid that the Audi spares cost the same all over the world, i.e. a lot...
Stefano
Can you tell me where they are located? Thanks

If I removed the injectors and brought them back to the UK for cleaning and testing would that be a sensible way forward?
Yes, nothing wrong with it that just extends the time frame for the repair. I envisaged if you bought used parts here you could post to your local garage there if they are prepared to use them to expedite the repair at greatly reduced cost.The going rate on here for a used HPP is about £120 and injectors £25 (uncleaned).

I would wait for a scan, possibly using Stefanos's mechanics - they sound they will know what they are doing.

Good luck.

Andy

Yes, nothing wrong with it that just extends the time frame for the repair. I envisaged if you bought used parts here you could post to your local garage there if they are prepared to use them to expedite the repair at greatly reduced cost.The going rate on here for a used HPP is about £120 and injectors £25 (uncleaned).

I would wait for a scan, possibly using Stefanos's mechanics - they sound they will know what they are doing.

Good luck.

Andy
That probably looks the best option at the moment. Thanks

Good luck.

Andy

Hello Andy,

I am sorry to interrupt your conversation but what is HPP - as far as I understand it is "high-pressure injectors/pump" as detailed in the very first post here.
Is it a High Pressure fuel pump or...?

Thanks!

Hello Andy,

I am sorry to interrupt your conversation but what is HPP - as far as I understand it is "high-pressure injectors/pump" as detailed in the very first post here.
Is it a High Pressure fuel pump or...?

Thanks!
Yes, HPP=High Pressure Pump. - Andy

Yes, HPP=High Pressure Pump. - Andy

Well, then it does not cost £thousands. I bought a months ago or so from our beloved Stoke Audi for £570.00 delivered to London. A brand new one, that is. I have not found less than £660.00 on London Audi dealerships.

Well, then it does not cost £thousands. I bought a months ago or so from our beloved Stoke Audi for £570.00 delivered to London. A brand new one, that is. I have not found less than £660.00 on London Audi dealerships.
My garage in Italy told me it was well ober £1k. That may well have included the pump and injectors, rather than just the pump itself, but I do not know for sure.

Stefano
Can you tell me the location of the garage please. We fly out to Ancona (hopefully) on the 27 October and could possibly get the car up there at the end of that week. Thanks

Hello, you have mail...
Cheers
Stefano

Stefano
We fly out to Ancona on the 27 October (assuming Ryanair do not cancel this flight). I am thinking of driving up to Bologna on the Friday or Saturday morning (presto) 30/31 October. How much time will the garage need to identify the problem? Will I need to leave the car with them for a few days?
I need to arrange train or bus back to Pedaso as well.
grazie

Hello, I'd say it would be better to drive the A2 to Bologna at least Friday, this way, if the fault can be repaired in a few hours, you could drive her back without having to arrange buses, trains etc, you'd need an overnight stay at most. Arriving Saturday would leave little time for any diagnosis and looking for the spares that might be needed: please remember that in Italy garages close Saturday 12,30 and reopen Monday morning 8,30 am.... I don't have an idea of how much time they will need to identify the problem anyway, so I can't say if they will need the car to remain there. Sadly I shall be leaving Friday 30 for a long-planned tour of the truffles region of Piedmont but the Gordini speak a passable English and they are very helpful. I'm sorry but I'm very poor at fixing cars so I cant figure out this part of the situation.
Have a nice time
Stefano

Hello, I'd say it would be better to drive the A2 to Bologna at least Friday, this way, if the fault can be repaired in a few hours, you could drive her back without having to arrange buses, trains etc, you'd need an overnight stay at most. Arriving Saturday would leave little time for any diagnosis and looking for the spares that might be needed: please remember that in Italy garages close Saturday 12,30 and reopen Monday morning 8,30 am.... I don't have an idea of how much time they will need to identify the problem anyway, so I can't say if they will need the car to remain there. Sadly I shall be leaving Friday 30 for a long-planned tour of the truffles region of Piedmont but the Gordini speak a passable English and they are very helpful. I'm sorry but I'm very poor at fixing cars so I cant figure out this part of the situation.
Have a nice time
Stefano
Stefano
Parlo un po d'italiano.
Grazie per tutto il tuo aiuto.
Partirò da Pedaso venerdì mattina presto (30 ottobre). Spero di arrivare a Bologna verso le 09.00.
Avrò con me il numero di telefono del garage in caso di problemi. Spero che possano riparare l'auto venerdì. Il mio A2 è rosso!

Back